Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2011

You'll have to forgive me for the multitude of pictures--I was just going to put on a slideshow, but the Slide.com site is going under and no longer lets you use it. Great! So until I figure something else out, here's a zillion Halloween photos:

Madelyn started getting into the Halloween spirit on Friday, when she decided to scare her dad. She wrote this note that says: "Do not open this door. To: dad, From: Madelyn. And do not guess what I'm doing."

It's a ghost! She made it from a sheet and a ball, and taped a face on it that says Boooooo!


Saturday night, we had a ward Halloween party, and Sunday night Mark and Madelyn carved pumpkins while I was at my RS meeting.

  
Madelyn got to design their faces. I love classic jack-o-lanterns.

 She got to wear her costume to the last couple hours of school (and she got to wear a costume to gymnastics on Wednesday). I tell you what--Halloween for kids is SO much more fun than it is for us adults. I just cleaned house all day! Anyway...

It was time to get ready for trunk-or-treating after Mark got home from work. At first, he put Luke in his huge puffy life vest (which he is very fond of wearing for some reason) so it would look like he had big muscles under his Superman jammies:

But it just ended up making him look fat with little tiny arms. So we took it off. Then it was time for the cape!

At 10:30 the night before, I realized I hadn't made it yet... Luckily, making one out of a t-shirt only takes about 5 minutes. At least it SHOULD, barring the 25 interruptions that I always have.

Basically, you just use a t-shirt a few sizes bigger than the person you're making it for (in this case it was a size 4-5T). You lop off the sleeves, cut up the sides, then trim around the neck hole, leaving it intact. If you're using a really big shirt and the neck hole is too big, you can cut it and add velcro. But that's it! Knit doesn't fray, so you don't have to sew anything. It's awesome.

*The reinforced seams on the tops of the shoulders made the fabric poke straight out while the rest of it flowed freely, so after it bugged me all night, I went ahead and trimmed them back a little more this morning for future cape use.*

He's off to save the world!

...or just check on the air unit.

Madelyn wanted to be Mulan, but what we ended up with was a generic Asian Princess costume. She loved it and she looked so pretty--and I found it for $10 on target.com! We already had Luke's Superman jammies from his birthday, so we just paid $2.50 for the t-shirt for his cape. Can I get a high five?? Of course, I spent like $30 on candy....

Love that little guy! ♥ We got so lucky that the weather was nice. It was getting cool, but was still in the 60s. Last year it was about 40° with gale force winds. (*Edit: and it snowed half the day today...)

Off to the stake trunk-or-treat...

  
Luke got the hang of it really fast. He'd walk right up and just grab the candy out of people's bowls! It was pretty much his best day ever. He kept saying "Wow!!"

  
 After this, Mark took the kids around our neighborhood for regular trick-or-treating.

Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Heather Wells said...

Your kids are so adorable. I loved the spiderman costume and what a fun way to make a cape. I am going to have to remember that.

Erin said...

So cute! It was fun seeing your kids (and Mark too, I don't want him to feel left out) trick-or-treating at our house last night.

Natalie said...

crap...I think I deleted my comment. This drugged up brain isn't working so well today. Basically I said...the cape ideas was GENIUS, and Madelyn is gorgeous and something along the lines of hoping you have shotguns for when she starts dating because you are going to be beating boys off of your doorstep. ;) There....I think that covered it...

Rachelle said...

Awesome costumes, especially for on the cheap! I hate how costumes are so expensive but look so cheap nowadays! You def get a high five for saving the bucks. . .

Tami said...

Looks like a great time. You have the cutest family and you are so creative and crafty!!! I just love checking your blog!!!!