I don't even know how to go about writing this post. It's probably going to come across as super long and whiny, but here goes!
So, we're busy. Aren't we all? Typical Yoder schedule:
Sunday: church 1-4pm, Relief Society Presidency meeting (I'm the secretary), 7-8:30pm
Monday: school/work, gymnastics 6-7pm
Tuesday: school/work, Elder's Quorum Presidency meeting/visits 7:30-9:00pm (Mark's the 2nd counselor). Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month, I have Activity Days at my house from 4:30-5:30pm.
Wednesday: school/work, gymnastics 6-7pm, Mark works the night clinic till 8:00pmThursday: school, Mark's day off (when we do a lot of catch up stuff, errands and projects). Every 2nd Thursday of the month is the Relief Society "weeknight meeting" 7-8:30pm
Friday: school/work
Saturday: Every 3rd week, Mark works at the clinic from 10-2:00pm.
Every 3rd week, Mark also has to take call, meaning he usually has to go do rounds on newborns at the hospital before and after work, take phone calls all night long at any hour, work on Saturdays and Sundays, and can't leave town.
He also has two monthly work meetings and one or two monthly hospital meetings. And he's had to lock the church up every night for a week (three different times). Then he had to speak in church. And then last month, he got assigned to teach new member discussions to a family in our ward. They wanted me to come to all the meetings (and start hosting multi family FHEs) but that hasn't been happening. We already have several families that we home/visit teach every month. We try to be obedient when assigned something relating to our callings.
Now, I don't TRY to exacerbate things. I don't volunteer at Madelyn's school, I'm not in PTA, I don't sign up for something if I can avoid it. There's a lot of things I'm not doing that I should, church wise, like temple night, the ward cannery, FHE, etc. But there's always something that comes up. Ward parties, having friends over, babysitting, trips to Hurricane and St. George to visit family.
Of course there's also the usual homework, housework, errands, paying bills, cooking, laundry shopping, changing diapers, getting Madelyn's homework done, and my own projects and blog. And do you have any idea how much time Luke alone takes up?!? (OK, you probably have some idea...) He's so needy, constantly wanting to be entertained, a picky eater, doesn't like to sleep in his own bed, destructive, just learned how to throw tantrums...anyway...
Things have been more hellish than usual. I've spent the last six weeks feeling completely overwhelmed. Going to bed feeling overwhelmed, waking up dreading the day. Just so much stress and busyness and work! Then we found out that our little cousin Stephen Peterson (Madelyn's age) has a rare and agressive form of brain cancer and has undergone multiple surgeries and procedures in the last three weeks. Mark's elderly Aunt Doris (who lives in Hurricane with his parents) is dying from cancer. Yesterday I found out that my childhood friend Terra (Baugh) Gaylord has a brain anuerism and had to have surgery today. Madelyn has apparently been feeling the stress, too and started having potty accidents and school and home almost daily.
For the entire month of October, I had exactly five days out of the month that didn't have something penciled into the calendar. It was insane. A few weeks before that, we started planning a big "Visiting Teaching Conference" for Relief Society, to be held November 6th. It was decided that I needed to update our old RS directories, which looked like this:
The old directory had been saved as a document that I could edit on the computer, but as I started working on it, it became apparent that I needed to transfer the whole thing over to a new format. I had to send around a clipboard asking for updates from the sisters for a month. Even then, there were gaps missing in information. Stuff the official church records didn't even have. So I had to somehow figure it all out. Names, addresses, phone #s and birthdays for 107 women.
(This was in between updating the master birthday list that includes all the sisters, and compiling our monthly newsletter/visiting teaching message/emergency preparedness message.)
It nearly killed me! And my president wanted me to print everything off myself and assemble 100 booklets, because "We already have the paper, and the copier in the library is free." (What she said after I asked if I could just have Staples copy center do the directories.) Luckily, she came to her senses a couple weeks later and I was able to FINALLY get all those missing gaps filled in and have the booklets professionally printed (which cost all of $35).
(The old next to the new) Not a single phone number or birthday is missing. I was so proud of myself.
And....... I also needed to make new visiting teaching partnership cards, all cute with magnets on the back. These were harder to put together. There was no saved template, so I had to just go off of church records, typing it all up. I spent probably 30 hours (no exaggeration) at the computer. There's an average of six phone numbers, three addresses and three birthdays on each card (all of that info had to be gathered from several different church sources that I'd had the executive clerk print off for me) and it required a LOT of concentration.
So November 6th finally came, and of course my brother Kevin decided to bless his baby that same morning down in Washington. So, I had stayed up till 2:00am getting everything finished and ready, woke up at 7:00am, we raced down for the blessing, stuck around for lunch, came straight back (through the sleet) and I had to grab all this stuff and go straight to our ward for the VT Conference, which by then we'd been working on for three months.
Did I mention that I was also singing in a musical number for this meeting? And we'd had weekly practices for the six weeks leading up to it??
And also that they wanted to hand out little hand lotions (with quotes attached, naturally) to everyone, and that I'd had to find 50 trial sized lotions of the appropriate scent and price?
AND the president wanted to serve refreshments (homemade pumpkin rolls!) but at the last minute realized that it was fast Sunday so we couldn't??
I also had to have a sample handmade card ready to show, which brings me to the next bit:
After I came home and collapsed that day, it took me two full days to get my house clean again. But I couldn't rest! Oohhhhhh no. Our "Weeknight Meeting" (Enrichment) was this past Thursday, and I somehow was one of the three people in charge of it. Remember the box of hideous paper that the former RS President left us? Well, that spawned the idea that we should have a card making night! (Ironically, I don't think that any of that paper was used by any of us, because like I said, it was hideous.)
So my next task was to cut out all the paper needed for about 36 handmade cards. My friend Erin offered to come help me, and I was going to call her on Wednesday but ended up having to watch my neighbor's kids for three hours while she went to an emergency court hearing (her husband just left her and it's been a big mess). Then of course we had gymnastics and I wasn't able to get started till that night.
So Thursday rolled around and I still didn't have anything ready. I got started, but then had to stop to go to my annual GYN appointment. Is there a more horrifying way to start your day?!? Blah.
Then Mark, Luke and I grabbed some Chinese food at a new place in town for lunch when we were out running errands. Luke missed his nap (or maybe slept for 10-15 minutes) and I could tell he was coming down with a cold. He was so cranky. So, Mark ran interference while I spent the rest of the afternoon frantically cutting out these 150 rectangles of coordinating scrapbook paper and making these sample cards:
Each person got to choose one design and pick a stack of coordinating papers that I cut out to make their card.
I made it there just in time and helped everyone make their cards. More than one person commented how nice it would have been if they'd have been able to make a whole SET of greeting cards (with us having done all the prep work first, of course) instead of just three! Ugh. Overall, it went well, but about halfway through, I started feeling yucky. At 8:30pm, I finally made it back home.
I had to go straight to the bathroom. Luke followed me in and started climbing all over me, making me feel worse. Then all the sudden, the effects of the (bad, as it turns out) Chinese food hit me and the vomiting and diarrhea started simultaneously. And do you know what Luke did? He started laughing at me!! He was laughing more hysterically with my every retch. Finally, Mark came and grabbed him.
We were both so tired after that day, so even though it was only 9:00pm, I crawled into bed with Luke.
...3...2...1
Then he threw up all over the both of us.
So we had to shower off, change the sheets, and get back into bed. Then I had to race to use the bathroom again, and while I was in there, he threw up all over the sheets again.
It continued like this all night. It got to where Luke would wake up and dry heave every 20 minutes, and I was to sick myself to help him. We had towels all over the bed and floor, and when day finally dawned poor Luke was filthy with vomit and bile. It was the longest night of my LIFE.
We spent the next three days mostly just sleeping, and I finally got dressed yesterday. But by then, Madelyn was feeling sick with a sore throat. She stayed home from school yesterday and today, and I finally took her into the clinic. Guess what!
She tested positive for strep throat!!
Someone kill me now!
Luke is still sick with the cold he caught last week, although he still found the energy to do this to the stamp stuff I'd left out:
And so here I am. Today I had Activity Days again (where I host a group of church girls aged 8-9 at my house to do stuff), but I only have one more on December 6th. I asked to be released from that calling, and a couple weeks ago was told that they're searching for my replacement.
I already feel a ton better, now that all of these responsibilities have been met, and I'm hoping that I won't EVER have another couple of months like that again. I feel like Frodo coming off of Mount Doom.
Now all I have to worry about is the holidays!
And by the way, don't eat at China Kitchen on 200 North in Cedar City.

15 comments:
I think you need a nap!!! Seriously, you are one busy women, i don't think anybody realizes how much work a relief society calling is!! I started feeling quite overwhelmed with the cleaning the size of our house required, when we moved here, and how much homework the kids were bringing home and on top of that teaching piano lessons (only to them, thank goodness) and my solution was to train the younger boys to take a 2-3 hour nap everyday, this allowed me the time to also take a nap or do whatever I wanted, and it has been a huge stress relief!! (not to mention that my kids are old enough now that they clean about 3/4 of the house everyday:))
:(. My poor friend! I wish I could come give you a hug and tell everyone to go away! You guys sound way busier in your ward than necessary! I'm so sorry you guys got food poisoning from the Chinese restaurant, so awful! You need to go get a massage or something! Love you!
Yikes. I am sorry to hear it has been so rough and busy. I am with the above comment you need a spa day. It makes me crazy when life gets filled with a bunch of high stress stuff that seems like it could be simplified easily, but thanks to someone elses expectations, can't. I am loving our current calling, nursery. No meetings for Adam or I, and it seems I don't go very often because I have at least one sick kid. My big pregnant self has a hard time with it at times but at least Adam is there to pick up my slack... Who knew it would be a somewhat refreshing break (Adam was ward mission leader before and had meetings every Sunday morning, before our 9am church and every Thursday night, and then he would study the other nights, or at least several and all day Friday and Saturday.) I feel like we can breathe now that he isn't studying or in a big calling.
I hope you get a break and a date or some kind if getaway!
Oh Melissa! How I love you! I'm with Liz-- this is where simplification should play a part. Trial sized lotions with a quote attached?! It's hard to really serve people when your time is spent cutting out paper for greeting cards. Tell that to you RS president next time! (I also know that you are a perfectionist and are fully capable of doing everything the cutest way possible-- which is why it is so hard for you to say no!)
Geez so if you're doing all that what is the rest of your Relief Society Presidency doing??? Seriously! Wow, your ward is lucky to have you and I think they're taking advantage of you or taking you for granted or both. Im glad to hear you asked to be released from Activity Days and that it's actually happening. From my experience being secretary in any presidency was always to best easiest position to have if you were going to get called into a presidency. Doesn't sound like it's the case with yours though. You're President must delegate an awful lot on you. In our ward we have a separate calling just for someone be over VT so the secretary doesn't, and another one for Emergency Preparedness so the secretary doesn't. I think they're putting too many responsibilities on you as a secretary or else they should help you with your duties. Anyways, I really hope things slow down for you and get better, that's just ridiculous. But I have to say those are the cutest cards! You're too talented for your own good Melissa.
First off Mel you will be blessed for all that you have been doing. However, it is my personal opinion that NO ONE needs two freaking callings; especially when the spouse is also in a demanding calling. Second, I am a big believer in reduce and simplify. Nothing makes me more upset than when someone has to do an event bigger and better than another ward. Even if it wasn't the intention, things need to be kept simple. For those that thought it would be nice to make more than 3 cards, make note of who said that and rope them into helping you with your next high stress job because apparently they have no idea on how much time is required to do what you did. Gosh. Can you tell I am bugged for you? I am glad that the bishop is getting a replacement for you in AD. You are way too overscheduled- in my opinion, family comes first and you are putting your family first!! Hang in there Melissa! I truly hope your family gets feeling better soon. When you get the time- draw a warm bubble bath and read a book.... if that is your kind of thing and put your feet up! You deserve it! Hugs!
PS. That relief society president of yours needs to get a clue! Does she have a young family? She needs to be supportive of you and all that is being required of your time....not spending your time cutting up tiny bits of paper to attach to lotions. Good grief! Ok. Now I am done ranting for you! Apparently, I have an opinion on this matter of the being required to do TOO MUCH! YOu are loved!!
I think the problem with RS is church-wide. I mean, how many times have the men made fun of all the doilies and handouts and cutesy lesson props?? We had a stake RS training meeting last month and for 2 hours we just got lectured at about what we should and shouldn't be doing, how to dress, where to sit, etc. and then they gave all the secretaries a full page of "suggestions" on what their duties should be. Then they gave every single woman a hand-sewed purse with homemade cookies, decorated journal and custom fabric pouch inside!!!!
I know that all this stuff is overkill--it was just unfortunate that all my work came due at the same time. I think we need to tone it down a couple hundred notches. My RS president just really wanted to make it special and is constantly worried about leaving any one sister out. I was brought up to be obedient and just do whatever I am asked without question. I think now I realize it's OK to tell the RS president and the Bishop (and the Primary president) to take a hike!!
PS. I'd asked the Bishop to release me from Activity Days 6 months ago, and was told "No, you can do both." He said both callings were "cake".
I knew about all of this, of course, but reading it just made me sick to my stomach that I "forced" more upon you than you needed. And I'm tired for you. And I'm also wondering what they told you about where to sit. (Having everyone sit up front for the whole RS meeting makes it seem like you are "better" than everyone else an untouchable, if that makes sense.) And if they are going to be nitpicky about what people wear, that could definitely turn people away from coming! How about letting us teach the lessons, with the Spirit, and not micro-managing us with everything else?
As soon as Madelyn is feeling better, we want her to come over to play. Bring Luke too, so he can have fun at our house and so that you can have some time to relax.
Everything you did turned out so dang well and looked so nice! (but really, no surprise there!) You deserve a nice long break and a release from your activity day calling. I just got another calling too (in YW, talk about waaaay more work and things to attend and do than activity days leader!) but made sure they were releasing me from my other calling pronto. I would be more than a little miffed at someone calling those callings "cake" especially having them both at the same time. Then I would have to remind myself that they are still men, no matter what calling they hold.
I go back and forth between "Nothing is worth doing if it's not done right." and "Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. Get tbe job done and move on." Sam emailed that to me the other day. So true, so true.
I think it's not really going to help you if I blast your RS pres or bishop, but it is really tempting.... I'll just send you a virtual hug and hope that things calm down for you quickly. Cancel everything and spend a couple of days in your pajamas!
Oh my, what a crazy few months! One question? Did your bishop and RS president miss that meeting when the church released the new guidelines for the church (about a year ago), stating everyone should only have 1 calling. They also heavily emphasized the importance for simplifying. Obviously, they missed that memo. I wonder if the 'going overboard' or the trying to 'keep up with the Jones'' mentality is a Utah thing (not to dis Utah, since I was born and raised there), because we honestly don't get that here (and all my wards in Utah went overboard). One of the first things I noticed about our ward is everyone does a great job in their callings, but the focus is much more on activation and missionary work. I mean our RS presidency doesn't even arrange meals for the sick or new moms!! I was really bugged about that (and still don't necessarily agree), but come to find out our ward is very good at using the 'chain of command' - the VT and HT take care of their families and then if more help is needed then others are brought in to help. If it makes you feel any better, all your projects turned out really cute, as usual. Hopefully the holidays will be low stress and enjoyable.
Oh yeah, will you keep me updated on Tera - she was in my ward growing up. I didn't know about her aneurysm. I hope everything goes well.
I've been thinking about you a lot lately as I've read your FB statuses. I think it would be fantastic to print out this blog and give it to your bishop and let him see that these callings are not "cake".
As others have said in previous comments, the general church leadership is saying to simplify. I think you would be setting a wonderful example by telling whoever is asking too much of you that you are willing to do that which is "best" and leave the "good" and "better" things for a less busy time. A good rule of thumb for distinguishing the "best" from the "good" and the "better" is asking this question, "Is _______________ (whatever you are asked to do) going to bring me, or anyone over which I have a stewardship, closer to Christ?" If the answer is no, then that assignment can probably be dismissed, or at least postponed to a less busy time.
I have had times in my life when I knew I was doing too much, but I didn't want to let the bishop down by asking to be released or by turning down a calling I was extended. It was a matter of pride for me - I wanted to be able to do it all. As you know, "pride cometh before the fall", and man, did I fall! I was spiritually bankrupt because I was trying to do things Heavenly Father specifically told me NOT to do. And these were good things - like teaching seminary and being girls camp director. But they weren't what Heavenly Father had in mind for me at the time.
For example, I taught seminary for one year and it was a magnificent blessing in my life. But, at the start of the second year, I felt very strongly that I was NOT supposed to be taxing my family and my health by continuing to teach. But, I felt bad for the bishop and didn't want him to have to try to fill the calling that is such a challenging one to fill. So, I kept teaching, and the Spirit completely left me. When I finally asked to be released (at Christmas time - 4 months later!), the Spirit returned, almost instantaneously. Another time, I said no to the girls camp calling that I knew wasn't what Heavenly Father wanted me to do at that time, and my family was blessed for my obedience to the Spirit!
Sadly, there is sometimes a difference in being obedient to Heavenly Father/the Spirit and saying yes to a calling that is extended to us. Bishops are human too. Unfortunately, not every calling is inspired. Moreover, even inspired callings may be wrong for us to accept. I 100% believe that I was extended the inspired call to be camp director specifically to show my willingness to seek Heavenly Father's will for me in that regard. When I "passed the test" and turned down the calling, amazing doors and windows were thrown open through which our family received blessings.
So, sometimes it's okay to say no and even wrong to say yes when we are asked to do things in the church. At least, that has been my experience. Good luck with everything!
My Goodness girl! What a crazy busy time. With our secretary in primary, she just asks us to do stuff when she feels overwhelmed. I think the secretary job is way harder. So we try and help her out all the time. So if they start saying stuff in your meetings and delegating things to you then you just delegate it back. And if no one can help do it, usually the thing gets dropped or simplified. At least that is what happens with us. I will be praying for you. I hope things simmer down soon.
Post a Comment