Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day needs to happen more often

 
 Look what I got for Mother's Day! Bwaaaahahaha I love it!! (If you can't tell, it's Admiral Ackbar from Return of the Jedi saying "It's a trap!" found here at Nerdy Shirts.) Mark kind of rolled his eyes when I showed him this and a couple of Doctor Who shirts I wanted and said, "My geeky wife.........."

Proud of it.

And then I ordered myself this TARDIS shirt from etsy yesterday just for good measure.

 
 Madelyn was really sweet this year. It was the first Mother's Day that I actually felt appreciated by my children! I adore this girl. She drives me crazy sometimes but I love that she has absorbed her parent's love for all things Star Wars/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Doctor Who/Avatar/The Beatles/Angels and Airwaves/marine biology/general awesomeness. She is such a good big sister, too.

 
Luke really is a good natured, smart kid who shows his appreciation for me by needing me incessantly and smothering me with hugs and kisses whenever I sit down. He loves his mama, that's for sure! ♥ Such a sweetie. This picture was from last week's father-son adventure to Cedar Breaks.

 Madelyn's card says, "Dear Mom I love you and I love to hear you sing your [you're] the dest [best] mom. P.S. I love you. From: Miss"

She made me this awesome vase a couple weeks ago on a field trip to a ceramics studio. Now I have somewhere to put all the flowers she picks for me on her way home from school!

My favorite was probably this interview her teacher did, asking Madelyn questions about me (click for larger picture):


I'm so glad there's nothing too incriminating on there.......

I ended up making jewelry for my mom and mother-in-law (big surprise).

My mom has recently joined a local singing group called John Houston and his Gospel Choir and she mentioned that she needed a black sparkly necklace for performing. I had a black sparkly necklace I'd tried (and failed) to make work a couple years ago, so I cut it apart, bought a few more beads at Jo-Ann's, and came up with this:

It has faceted jet glass, crystal bicones and Swarovski crystal silver quatrefoil sliders. Oh and crystal rondelles and silver spacers. I had to remake/restring parts of it probably five different times until it looked right. 

My mother-in-law Kathy's necklace was also a little problematic, but it turned out nicely:

 
It's made with dark African green jasper, mossy Australian green jasper and is all hand looped onto wire with four leaf clover-ish spacers. She and my sisters-in-law (her daughters) are going to Scotland this fall to check out their ancestry. I thought this looked sort of Celtic. She liked it! I have two other necklaces in my shop made with these same green stones: Glorious Green Jasper necklace & earrings set and Luck 'o the Irish pendant and earrings set.

Oh and I kept a couple of bracelets for myself during last week's jewelry making spree:
 
Chunky jasper bracelet---be still my heart

Triple strand electric blue bracelet. I made a single strand one too that's in my shop, but this one was just too cute to sell. Sorry! I actually got the beads on clearance at Jo-Ann's--probably cost me about $3 to make.



 And I don't know if you've seen this floating around in newsstands, but I had to have it! (I got it a few weeks ago and saved it for Mother's Day.....for myself....I am really good at finding myself the perfect present....) Life magazine put out their own version, but I subscribe to Newsweek and like its style. I stayed up late last night reading half of it. Not that there's many Beatles tidbits that I don't already know...but fun all the same. I can't believe it's been 50 years!! 

Yesterday, I asked Mark what his favorite Beatles song was. He said, "Right now? 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' " (the song, not the album). That's the thing. There's a new favorite song every day. I told him I usually had favorite individual songs, because there's no way to pick just one. My favorite John song (at the moment) is "Norwegian Wood", Paul's is "Back in the U.S.S.R", George's is "Here Comes the Sun" (or the acoustic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps") and Ringo's is "Boys". LOVE IT ALL.


*Ahem* Sorry about all the tangents. Hope all you mothers out there had a great Mother's Day and got spoiled rotten!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love all the cute things from Madelyn. I did something a little similar to the questions she answered in my Primary class on Sunday. But the most hilarious thing that happened was when one girl loudly said, "We are going to Hickory Park (a restaurant) right after church to celebrate Mother's Day!!" (Like you were saying, sometimes our kids can be a little bit incriminating :)

Katie said...

Mother's Day is the BEST!! I'm glad your day was a great one. Your children are adorable!!