Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Oh, yeah....

5/11/10

I forgot a few things from my Mother's Day post:

OK, so "he of the hurricane lungs" was not originally going to feature on my Mother's day post, but my friend Tiffany reminded me that yesterday was Bono's 50th birthday! WOO! May he live another 50 years, continue to make my favorite music, save the world, and finally get that Nobel Peace Prize. Dang it--I have GOT to get another U2 t-shirt sometime. They did have Rolling Stone (magazine cover) tote bags at Wal-mart with Bono circa 1991 "The Fly" era, but....though it's an excellent song, I'm not much of a fan of the hairy, bug-eyed look he had back then.



Also, tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my Grandma Nora passing away--we miss her a lot and especially Madelyn, who talks about her about every other day.

At our house in Albuquerque--Madelyn was three and had to show off her dress-up clothes to my mom and Gma Nora. She had the most beautiful smile!

This is the Mother's Day card Madelyn made for me at preschool, and the drawing is of Grandma Nora ("But I forgot to draw her mouth.")

Here's the necklaces I made for my mom and mother-in-law out of freshwater pearls:


And here's the other pie that I made for Mother's Day--I had not tasted it until now so I didn't know if it was worthy of posting. I think it's pretty tasty. But FYI--when I made it, there was enough filling to make two pies. You may be reduced to eating the rest out of the bowl with a spoon. Or save it, or make two pies. But, you know, whatever.

Strawberry Cream Freeze
Adapted from Kraft--see original recipe HERE

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup cold milk
1 box (3.4 oz.) Jell-O vanilla* instant pudding
1 1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip topping
3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 Oreo pie crust (6 oz.)

Beat cream cheese in large bowl with mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in milk. Add dry pudding mix; beat 2 minutes.

Stir in Cool Whip, 1 cup berries and jam.

Spread into crust. Freeze** 6 hours or until firm. Remove dessert from freezer 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with remaining berries.

*Next time I think I'll try cheesecake flavored pudding
**If you don't want to have to chisel your way through a frozen pie, it also tastes fine when chilled in the fridge.


I must go get Madelyn from school--she only has two weeks left! When am I ever going to have the time to blog once she's home all the time? Oh, right. The old 12:30 am technique. Yawn!

P.S. It's snowing here right now. Let's have a Not Fair contest and say that I win.

5 comments:

Kathryn M. said...

The pie look delish and since I went strawberry picking yesterday I might just have to give it a try. Is there anything else in the pie? It looks like it has vanilla wafers or something mixed in with the sliced strawberries. Thanks for the recipe!

The Yoder's Five said...

The original Kraft recipe that I posted the link to has crushed vanilla wafers in it. And they use strawberry ice cream topping (the syrup, I'm guessing) but I used jam.

Liz said...

MMmmm! I need to try these recipes. I just never make dessert... I will have to the next special occassion.

Katie said...

YUM!! And the necklaces turned out so cute too :)

Carolina mama said...

The pies were delish and my necklace is too! Thank you very much, I'm wearing, not eating it, tomorrow.