Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The start of summer break! So to speak.

"Summer?? No clothes required!"
5/25/10

Madelyn graduated from preschool today. Of course we were running so late that everyone was waiting just for us to arrive.....That's not MY fault, is it?

OK, it is. But anyway, we only live a block and a half away so we got there quick the kids did the cutest little program they've been rehearsing for. By the last number, "The Goodbye Song," which they sang at the end of every day, I was all choked up. I have been dreading the end of preschool because Mrs. Willden was such an amazing teacher. Thank goodness we still see her at church and around the neighborhood.

Kasia, Mya, Madelyn, Peyton, Hadley, Mrs. Willden, Stockton and Kamryn singing "The Goodbye Song"

This lady is a gem and her small preschool was the perfect fit. Madelyn has learned so much and I am so proud of her. I hope Luke gets to go there when he turns four.

This is the card Madelyn drew in and the bracelet I made for Mrs. Willden. I kinda wanted to keep it (because I obviously don't have enough jewelry...) but as Madelyn was by far the most emotional/high strung child in the class, I figured her teacher earned a little extra thanks. Oh, and see my new business cards? They're cute.

Annnd, Mister Luke turned eight months old today!

Weight: 19 lbs.
Length: 28 1/2 inches

New Skills: scooting on tummy, pulling up to a stand, shaking head (and body) "no", saying "dad-dad, dad-dad" over and over

Loves to: grab faces and hair and try to eat them, eat paper (what is it with kids and eating paper??!?), slap high chair tray, refuse to bend legs to sit in said high chair, eat strained bananas, pears and almost everything else except peas, cat nap (unless I'm holding him the whole time), chew on mom's phone, suck on wet washcloths, push the shiny blue computer button that turns the power off in the middle of mom trying to blog.

Sumo baby continues to get bigger. (Madelyn refers to his thighs as "those huge, squishy things.") He is in size 4 diapers now, eats an entire stage 2 (4 oz.) jar of fruits or veggies at one sitting and is growing out of his wardrobe. He really needs some 9-12 month clothes. See, Mark? (Needing to justify my planned Target and Old Navy trips this weekend.) He also has six teeth already. I'm not enjoying the accidental biting. Nor the crankiness. Only 14 more to go!

One day last week he figured out how to pull himself up in his playpen and crib, so we had to hurry and lower the mattresses. Of course he topples over after standing for a while. He pulled up on a chair at church and fell and hit his head on a door, and he also rolled off our bed last week. You can't take your eyes off this kid for a second!

Yesterday, Luke was scooting all across the dining room saying "dad-dad, dad-dad, dad-dad." Mark is absurdly pleased. He started out on his play mat, rolled over, and then went chasing that green balloon.

He made it pretty far. One of these days, he's going to just start crawling. He's really close to figuring it out. Mark coaches him at night.
.
.
.

Which means I'm going to have to babyproof everything. Uuuuugggghhhh.

(The kids' TV faces...) We just signed up for XBox Live and can now stream Netflix "watch instantly" shows directly to our TV. It is the best thing ever! I love technology.

After several weeks of panicking and wondering what to do with Madelyn all summer (because she is a relentless whiner about how boring home life is), I finally found out where/when/how to sign her up for dance and swim lessons for a couple months. Disaster has somewhat been averted.

On with summer break!

PS. Remember how I said that warmish weather had arrived a week ago? Well, yesterday there was a half inch of snow on Mark's car in the morning. I'm filing a complaint. "Snow" and "summer break" should not belong in the same blog post.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Love that bracelet! You have such a skill/talent/rockstarquality.

The Vakautakakala's said...

Luke is getting so big!! I can't believe he has 6 teeth!! You should definitely check out Ross for cute littlel boy clothes, they have a ton for really cheap!!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

i know what you mean about teachers! beckham's kindergarten teacher is phenomenal! i'm so sad that beckham won't have her anymore! she's been a teacher for 20 years and still loves teaching and loves all the kids so much. she's been avoiding everybody lately because she'll just start randomly crying, it really is the sweetest thing. i hope she has a great kindergarten teacher next year!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

ps...if Luke is fitting 9-12 you need to put him in the onesies i made him! i'm dying to see what they look like on him!

Carolina mama said...

I am in love with my grandkids. The bracelet is gorgeous.

Emalia said...

Your little guy is just growing up so fast!! It's amazing how fast they change 6-12 months.