Sunday, October 2, 2011

Decorations Part I: Poms

So here's Part I of how I made the ultra cute decorations for Lori's baby shower.



These were semi-homemade--they are easy enough to make on your own (and there are about 29,000 tutorials on how to do it), but let's face it. Time is money. I knew I'd already taken on a lot for the baby shower, so when I saw a Martha Stewart kit for these poms at Jo-Ann, I bought them. They were still pricey even on clearance ($8 for a pack of 8) but I have to say it was worth it. They turned out nice (nicer than my previous DIY attempts) and were in great colors.

 
The kit came with three small and five large poms, all pre-cut, stacked, scored and scalloped.

If you're making them from scratch (As I was assembling these, I told Mark I felt guilty about not making them totally from scratch. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!??), stack eight sheets of tissue paper together. The taller the sheets, the bigger the pom turns out. Accordion fold (every inch or so) and secure in the middle with a wire or twisty tie. Then round off the edges with a pair of scissors.

HANDS OFF, BOY! Tissue paper makes a lovely crinkly, crunching sound, as my son knows...

Then start carefully peeling away each layer, creating a fluffy flower (which could be displayed on a table like this, with one side flat), then turn it over and fluff the other side.

 Then I got some clear monofilament thread (fishing line) and attached a big loop of it into the twisted wire of each pom. When I decorated, I just taped them to the wall, although if I had more time, I'd have taped them to the ceiling like this:

Yeah, um. So my party didn't look THIS good. Click over here to see the goodness, though!

Try these for your next party! Totally customizable according to color and size, cheap and easy, adn add just the right amount of cheer.

1 comment:

Maria Nielson said...

I love tissue pom poms! I just made some pink ones and hung them above Em's crib :)