Friday, April 8, 2011

Beige No More Part IV

It's been seven months since my last de-beiging post. Good GRIEF can painting my house take any LONGER?!?

Some of you have noticed that I (meaning Mark) started painting the front room, but it's only halfway finished, so you'll have to hold your horses for that reveal.

This was a project I wasn't even planning on. Most of the time, I hem and haw and dream and visualize for a looong time before the work actually starts. Then last week, Mark was on a handyman roll and decided that our laundry room needed some shelves. I'd been wanting the room painted eventually too and talked him into doing that (using some paint left over from an accent wall in the front room). Here's what it looked like before:

Eeek! A cluttered, dumpy, tiny room. It's between the kitchen and the garage and has the washer and dryer jammed up on one side, with the pantry on the opposite wall. There's only four feet of walking space.

P.S. Madelyn had made a couple of "monsters", glued them onto popsicle sticks and then taped them to our washer and dryer as an April Fool's joke. She thought it was hilarious.

 You get the idea. Completely underwhelming. Now:

Ta daa!!!!!!

 
 I convinced Mark to buy these cabinets instead, and he also installed some hooks for the mop and brooms and ironing board. I think it's about 1,000 times better than before! :D

He is such a good sport about letting me choose the designs and colors and then doing all the hard work himself. 

Madelyn loves to "help". I had the task of keeping Luke from wandering in there and messing with things for several hours. He was not happy about that.

The paint color is Sherwin William's "Comfort Gray" (more of an oceany blue) and I love it. I had it color matched in Behr Premium Plus Ultra paint in satin at Home Depot though, because that's the best paint in the world. One coat'll do ya. It's hard to tell the true color from the lighting. I even switched the light bulbs in there to ones with full spectrum light so they didn't cast a yellow hue. Our neighbor had come in and said, "Oh, you painted it sea green." No we DIDN'T...that's IT! Out with the "soft white" light bulbs!!!!!

Sorry, I'm using a lot of unnecessary capitals in this post.

The best part about this whole project was that it was spur of the moment and yet made a huge improvement. For the first few days afterward, I had to do double takes every time I went in there. So there you have it, folks! Redo your laundry room today!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

It looks beautiful! Yay for home improvement!

Liz said...

Looks great! Can you send Mark my way next time he gets in handy man mode, or yard working mode ;)? I love the paint color, or at least what I am imagining it to be. It is funny how LOOooonggg it takes to get house projects done.

Heather Wells said...

beautiful!!

Erin said...

It's very brave to let Madelyn help. I'm not quite sure I would have the patience to do that.

And now I know I definitely need a hook thing to hang up my ironing board and broom.

Michelle said...

How fun! It looks great!

things we love... said...

It looks absolutely amamzingggggg!!! you should have Mark get a second job, painting and hanging cabinets. He can start by making his way to good ol' Ferron and starting on mine!!! I told Hubbs that the only thing I want done before I have this baby is our laundry room to be finished!! He officially has less than 4 months... get going Hubbs!!!

Carolina mama said...

Nice Job, you four home-improvers!

Project Maniac said...

Looks so much better. No more clutter, YEAH!