Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"The Ladybug Party"

 Madelyn and Kasia
12/15/10

I need to have a few words with whoever decided to send me my firstborn so near Christmas. Madelyn's birthday is on the 21st, but, trying to reduce stress, we had her birthday party a week early. Except that it turns out that the week before the week before Christmas (got that?) is actually busier because it's the last week of school, dance and when everyone else in the entire world is planning their events. Kind of like how the week before finals was always worse than finals week because all of your major projects were due. How I miss college...

Anyway, none of this was Madelyn's fault, but I was SOOO crunched for time to get everything ready and it was not one of my better days. Luckily, she was so excited to finally have her first friend party that she forgave me for being a major crank. (And for me not being home that morning when the bus driver tried to drop her off, because I was at the school...because 5 minutes earlier I was racing home from the store and saw a school bus drive by our house and thought it was hers, except that it wasn't....and if I'm not home they take her back to school......)

Sigh.

So, back in September, we got a birthday party supply catalog in the mail and she decided immediately that she needed to have a ladybug party featuring the decorations on the first page. She started telling everyone about it--cashiers at the grocery store, her bus driver, the dentist, postal employees, etc. There was no way I was going to get away with not buying her those cute cups and plates and stuff. We gave invitations to a handful of her friends, and yesterday was the big day.

They colored ladybug pictures

...ran around and around and around and around the living room shrieking (which was not on the agenda...) and decided to play hide and seek

...at which point Luke got smacked in the face with a door, which split open his gums (his frenum, actually) and he proceeded to cry and bleed everywhere for the next 2-3 hours....

 The kids made candy necklaces

and frosted cupcakes (Madelyn was crying because she wanted to put the sprinkles on everyone's, but they wanted to do it themselves. QUEEN BEE, anyone?!) Right before this, she grabbed that red pipe cleaner heart off the tree and told me she needed it because she missed Fungus (one of our deceased fish). She has these random bouts of mourning for dead fish/people.

Peace was eventually restored

She only wanted two candles. (??) When Mark came home, he made him sing to her, and then I had to chime in for the second round. In fact, any time we have cake, she has us put candles in it and sing to her.

Pull the string on the pinata

Aidan (the lone man in the group) got it open

 Time for presents!

  
She FINALLY got her Pillow Pet!! I've had to endure about 6 months of her begging for this thing. I don't know why, but they're what every kid has to have right now. And they're $20 frickin' bucks. Uuuuggghhhh. Of course, she's thrilled. She thinks everyone in the family should get one.

Typical Madelyn play involving standing on furniture and throwing things

Aidan, Melissa, Madelyn and Kasia. Ashley had already left--I wish I would have thought to take this when she was here.

The aftermath

"I'm not tired!!" (Both kids managed to stay up over an hour past their bedtime, and I was too busy lying in a stupor on the couch to do anything about it.)

Next year, I think McDonald's PlayPlace is going to host.

10 comments:

The Mursets said...

Oh man. Looks like fun times! That pillow pet thing is so cute!

Rachelle said...

Congrats on surviving! Popsicles are good for a busted frenum. Carter was always bonking his mouth on things and splitting his open!

Chris said...

So glad you created a link to the defination of "frenum". I used it!

The Vakautakakala's said...

The party looks like a lot of fun!! And must I say that my kids are obsessed with pillow pets too!!
Another thing I thought was funny is that most people wouldn't use the word frenum...only those with a husband or father in the medical community!! (Isn't it nice that our husbands occupations make us sound smarter at times:))(at least in my case:))

Heather Wells said...

ha! Good times. I love the last picture with the 2 kids. And i like that you were "too busy lying in a stupor on the couch." So been there!

the heiner family said...

I am exausted just reading this post! That age group is soooo hard to party with! But well done...Halle is looking at it with me and said we should have gone to Cedar so we could go:)

Nadia and Jeremy said...

ha ha haha

yuck...that's all i have to say. birthday parties are exhausting.

ravi is BEGGING for a pillow pet, too, only a panda one. thankfully jeremy's mom sent us money so we could get the boys some. they are awfully soft.

Ashlee said...

Melissa oh how I love your spunk and charm! I get a really good chuckle every time I read your blog. Merry Christmas Mel! Keep the funny posts coming

Marilee Belnap said...

We had Alyssa first friend party this year. I think that we won't have another for a couple of years.
I bet that Madelyn had a great time.

Erin said...

Aidan had an awesome time. He's still wearing the sunglasses around the clock.

My friend Jodi tells her son he can choose a party with a few friends, or he can have a $20 bill. He chooses the money. That's a lot easier!!