Monday, October 11, 2010

California!

Mark and Madelyn at California Adventure

10/11/10

We're baaaack! I know you've all been dying to see how our trip went. (Or not, but anyways...) Well, it was great! We logged about 20 hours sardined in Mark's tiny car and drove over 1,000 miles, but with Disneyland involved, how could you go wrong? And Madelyn didn't have a single accident the whole trip!! (Hallelujah!!) I think the threat of putting her back in Pull-ups scared her straight. What a relief.

We left Cedar City at 7:00 pm Wednesday night and drove to Las Vegas, where we had a room at the Excalibur hotel on the strip. We went there because weeknight stays were dirt cheap and we knew Madelyn would be overjoyed about staying in a castle. She was so excited about being in Las Vegas. "I hope it has a candy store!" she said.

Madelyn woke up the next morning, blinded us by pulling the curtains open and said, "It's going to be a happy day!" (I wish I had her attitude sometimes...)

Then we whizzed on over to L.A. to stay with my G-ma Murset. Thank goodness for portable DVD players.

After we took a walk around the block, all Madelyn wanted to do was rake leaves. (???)

Here's the real reason why.

We were going to go to the beach, which is only about 20 minutes away (without traffic), but by the time we had visited with G-ma, rested and ate, it was already getting dark and cold. But just the fact that we COULD have gone to the beach is the real point. (I can't believe Mark didn't drag us out there still, but he said it wouldn't have been much fun if he couldn't go surfing.) So we went to Ross just around the corner (a tradition) and got a few things. Nothing like a little retail therapy to pass the time!


G-ma Murset (just turned 93), Me, Luke and Madelyn

The next morning we drove about 50 miles to Disneyland/California Adventure, where we spent 10 blissful hours. It was PACKED. The weather was warm but not hot and Madelyn got spoiled rotten. Who could ask for more?

Mark and Luke in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle

Madelyn getting her face painted at the Princess Fantasy Faire

Luke thought the King Arthur Carrousel (I know, it looks like it's spelled wrong. Don't ask me.) was the best thing ever. He got really upset when it was time to get off the ride, so I took him again while Mark and Madelyn went on Dumbo. We never got to ride any adult rides, but the kids had fun.


As we were leaving Disneyland on our way to California Adventure, there was Jack Sparrow!? And as anything/anyone resembling Johnny Depp is enough to bring me to a screeching halt, I had to stop and gawk and snap a couple of nonchalant pictures from across the way. It turns out that he was just a guest at Disneyland with his wife and kid, but I'm sure he attracted a lot of attention. (There were lots of people dressed up for the Halloween party.)

We had to leave at 7:00 pm because we had a 90 mile drive to our next hotel in Palm Springs. It was supposed to take 1 hr. 45 minutes, but we hit bad traffic and road construction so it took 3 HOURS. Uuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We pretty much collapsed when we finally got there

The next morning, Mark and Madelyn took a dip in the pool and hot tub before Mark had to go and make an appearance at his medical conference. He only ended up having to stay for an hour. But because he went, most of the expenses from the whole trip are being reimbursed! Which is why you all need to get into a medical profession! :D

Then it was back in the car...

And we finally got to our last stop in Henderson, NV

We spent a low-key time there, resting and swimming. Phew. We were t-i-r-ed. Then we eventually made it home yesterday afternoon.

Here we are pulling off the exit for Cedar City....(poor Luke is teething)

We had a great time and are looking forward to maybe doing it again next year. Now it's back to reality with a crash. I'm up to my neck in laundry and stuff to put away. I think I'd rather still be in California.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Wheew, it makes me tired just reading it! 'I'm glad you guys had fun.

Jen said...

At least you've blogged it. That's the most important part, right!? :)

WV: mousie. Crazy!

Michelle said...

So jealous! I so want to take Emmy to Disneyland for her birthday, but I don't think it will happen this year :( Maybe for Spring Break, though . . . Anyway, looks like you guys had a great time!

The Vakautakakala's said...

I'm so glad the weather worked out for you guys!!