Sunday, August 1, 2010

Culture and camping

My mom Carolyn, Luke and me

8/1/10

Hello, August!! I'm happy Madelyn doesn't start school till the 31st because I am not ready for summer to be over. (Staving off the snow for as long as possible...)

Anyway, we had another busy weekend. My mom and I went to go see this:

The live theater version of Pride and Prejudice at the Utah Shakespearean Festival here in Cedar City. Whatever my little town may be lacking--it sure does have great theater! The play was good--the pacing was extremely fast but they told the story well and there were laughs throughout. (My ears are still ringing from Mrs. Bennett shrieking her lines...) I thought it was worth going just to see Brian Vaughn as Mr. Collins. He's my favorite festival actor and was hilarious.

As soon as we got back from the play, Mark and Madelyn went up in the mountains near Beaver to go camping with the scouts. Madelyn goes to pretty much all the scout activities with Mark and she and those boys just get along swimmingly. It was her first time camping and fishing and she had a blast.

Headed out to the lake (LeBaron Reservoir) to go fishing with the scout master, "Brother Bishop" whom she adores.

She's so lucky to have such a great dad!

Log raft contraption...it looks so safe, doesn't it? Aahhh, scouts.

Madelyn helped catch 5-6 fish and wanted to eat them RIGHT THEN but had to wait until she got back home. Our bishop cleaned and cooked a couple for her and brought them over. She named them "HuHu and BuBu". Charming.

Then Kevin, Lori and Hattie swung by on their way back from Hanksville to have dinner with us. They moved back to Hurricane this weekend after a short stint managing a motel up there.

I think the last time they saw Luke, he was 5 months old. That's like, half of his life ago.

Here's Madelyn practicing for her Herbal Essences commercial. Hahahaha

Then on Saturday, Madelyn's cousin Will Yoder came over to play in the rain. They got totally soaked. I stupidly assumed that the umbrellas would somehow prevent that. Oh, well.

In other news, I actually finished my mending (!!) and now (after cleaning up all my sewing junk...) I don't know what to do. I have some other projects I'd like to do, but they require money. Huh.

♪♫ "Oh, what do you do in the summertime...when all your cash is gone? Do you go mow the lawn, or stifle a yawn in the brutal heat of July??? Is that what you doooo? So do IIII!!" ♪♫

3 comments:

the heiner family said...

How fun that Madelyn goes on Scouting activities! I always try to talk Bret into taking a couple girls with him to his Young Men's activities but that never happens...bummmer....

Rachelle said...

You should submit your clever verse to the folks who put together the Primary Songbook - I'm sure they'd include it in the next edition of the Songbook!!!

Carolina mama said...

My daughter, the song writer. I love the photo of Mark & Madelyn in front of the lake. And by the way, I'd go see the play again just to watch Mrs. Bennett. Her comedic timing was hilarious.