Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ode to Nadia

8/4/10

Nadia is my NM bestie and she has spoiled us rotten! Check out this gorgeous mirror she decorated with her wood burning skills:

I have never had such a nice housewarming gift. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a housewarming gift before. I love it!!

She also sent us (via a mutual friend who was traveling from ABQ to Hurricane) about 100 lbs. of clothes for Luke that her two boys (Beckham and Ravi, Madelyn's besties) have outgrown:

I still need some plastic bins to put them in, but I sorted through all of them and they are CUTE--mostly Old Navy and Gap and in styles I would have chosen myself. My friend Erin also gave us a couple garbage bags full of boy clothes at about the same time. Am I lucky, or what!? (Also my sis-in-law Sally and Madelyn's preschool teacher Holly have given me things periodically, too. I must be in the right neighborhood....)

Anyway, in addition to all that plus some other fun, handmade things she has given us, my favorites have to be these onesies she decorated for Luke with freezer paper stencils. (Click here for a tutorial on how to make your own. It's not Nadia's site, but it's the same method she used.)

"Phelps Phan", skateboarder, Stormtrooper, ThunderCats and a Transformers Decepticon

I had promised to take pictures of Luke wearing them all and I finally got around to it today.

(Luke spent the whole photo shoot frantically crawling back and forth, standing up and trying to go headfirst off the side of the bed.)

Remember the Beijing Summer Olympics a couple years ago when Michael Phelps won seven gold medals in swimming? Mark and I were glued to every race. OK, mostly me. But I think it's safe to say we were all Phelps Phans. I like how she put "London 2012" (location of the next Summer Games) on the bum.

Coming to take over the earth soon....watch out, Optimus.

I love the colors and the logo on this ThunderCats one. Luke looks so good in dark blue!

Of course you know what big Star Wars geeks we are. Isn't this awesome?? I can't believe all the detail she put into this Stormtrooper--it looks screen-printed. It's Mark's favorite. Luke likes it, too. I can tell.

I think the skateboarder one is my favorite because it reminds me of Mark, who still keeps his board in the trunk of his car in case he feels like stopping by the skate park on the way home from work.

Aren't you all jealous?? Don't you wish she'd make YOU some awesome shirts? Don't you wish you had a Nadia in your life?? I'm so glad I do! Thanks for everything!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Absolutely. Awesome.

I love those onesies. Yes Melissa, you have great friends!

Rachelle said...

Hand-me-downs (especially Gap/Old Navy hand-me-downs) are the best!!!

Great job, Nadia!! Those onesies are too cute!

Carolina mama said...

Luke is extremely adorable. Great photos!

The Vakautakakala's said...

those onesies are awesome!! i never thought to do it with freezer paper, do you know what kind of paint she used?

The Yoder's Five said...

I think she used acrylic paint mixed with textile medium, but you can also use bleach, spray paint or fabric paint. I added a link to a tutorial FYI.

Jen said...

Awesome with a capital A! Fun stuff.

Nadia and Jeremy said...

awwwww...a post just for me? thanks! luke does look so cute in all those photos.

that's a good idea to use bleach...i'll have to try that sometime...that could be really fun.

i feel bad that the skateboarder is starting to crack. i had to use so much paint on that one for the white to show up on the brown. but i still love that one, too. my sister in law and i did one for her friend that was a drummer guy...it turned out really fun.