(By the way, all she can really do is walk around and randomly fire her gun--she never really shoots anyone. But I'm sure one of these days it will come to that. Sigh...can't we get her hooked on a Barbie game or something??)
I took her and I to the optometrist a couple days ago. I had been concerned about her going cross-eyed a lot this year and although Mark thought it was harmless, Luke's pediatrician said kids shouldn't regularly go cross-eyed past six months of age. So then I made the appointment, and I'm sure glad I did!
It turns out Madelyn is farsighted and her left eye has only 20/40 vision (explanation here). Her right eye sees 20/25, and since it's so much better than the left, her brain has simply switched off even using her left eye most of the time. So the reason you see her left eye drifting towards the center in a lot of pictures is because she's not using it to see. My poor girl!! I am amazed that she's been able to do so well with everything despite only really being able to see out of one eye. Mark said, "No wonder she can't catch anything!" Her glasses are arriving next week and the doctor said her brain should start utilizing her left eye once she starts wearing them full time. It might be an adjustment for her, but once she doesn't have to work so hard to see, I think she'll get used to it.
I also ended up getting glasses...I have never had problems before, but since I've had the baby, my eyes have changed a little. It's mostly just hard to focus clearly when I'm at the computer and stuff. Apparently, the giant hormonal changes that come with pregnancy and childbirth are to blame. Since I'm still on Medicaid, the doctor said I might as well get a pair of glasses since I wouldn't have to pay for them.
And speaking of being poor and on government assistance (WIC and Medicaid), this has been the worst financial year EVER for us. We've moved twice, had to travel for school, pay for tests and licensing fees, bought a new house, had a new baby, and had car troubles coming out our ears. On top of that, we quit using all our credit cards cold turkey (but still have to pay them off, ugh.). It's a struggle to get by. Needless to say, it's going to be rather bleak at Christmastime. Madelyn's birthday is on the 21st, too...and then it's our anniversary on the 28th. Luckily for Madelyn, I had already been buying her presents here and there throughout the year, so she won't go empty handed (although she might not get that kitchen set she wanted).


5 comments:
I had/have the same problem as Madelyn. I had lazy eye as a kid and had to have a pretty hefty prescription. I still mostly focus out of my left eye but see out of both. I hope it fixes her problems.
We are downsizing for Christmas this year too. It is kind of nice to get back to the basics and not stress so much.
I'm glad you caught her vision problem early and that you don't have to pay for the glasses. You two will look very nice in them. Cute family photos.
You will both looks adorable in your new glasses!!
I am considering doing next year as Make it Do or Do without year, just for fun. It's difficult to make up my mind to do, though, because American life is just so darned convenient that we rarely have to just do without.
You seriously crack me up everytime I read your blog! Thanks for the chuckles!!! Rob was laughing too about Madelyn playing video games...but I think he is just jealous because we don't own ANY video games what so ever! Such a cute family and your little boy has the cutest little round face like my little one! love it!
Post a Comment