Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A quandary...

09/09/09

So here's an update (after I thought I had everything arranged and had called my whole family): now I have two choices for a day to go in and be induced.

Sept. 28th
or --a whole 3 days later, which is an eternity while you're pregnant--
Oct. 1st?

It boils down to this:
If I go in on Monday, Sept. 28th, my beloved OB Dr. Sanders will be there to see me through labor and delivery. Mark will have to use up vacation days in order to be there that day and the day after, and then he'll have to go back to work Wednesday and Friday.

If I go in on Thursday, Oct. 1st, it will be Mark's day off. He'll use up a vacation day for Friday, but Saturday and Sunday he already has off. HOWEVER, Dr. Sanders will be on a cruise with his wife, and his partner Dr. Heath (whom I've never met) will have to deliver me. Thursday Sept 24th won't work because I'll only be 38 1/2 weeks and they just don't go around scheduling inductions on people's whims unless they're 39 weeks. Psh.

I don't know why I have to be the one to decide this. Am I not under enough stress as it is? I'm leaning towards the 1st, but I need to know what y'all think. Comments? Suggestions?? Monica said to go out and get a quart of castor oil on the 23rd and put myself into labor on the 24th. Not a bad idea, actually...

9 comments:

Katie said...

That is a tough one. I think like you, I would lean on the 1st. Having the hubby around is so nice.

Good luck! And I would not advise the castor oil. It didn't work on me and is NASTY!! Save yourself that horrid experience.

Robyn said...

I didn't have my doctor there at either of my kids' births. The first was out of town, the second wasn't on call the weekend I went into labor. It wasn't a big deal at all, and my second was even a C-section. I ended up liking the on-call docs just as much as my own. Good luck deciding, though! I would have fretted for days for sure.

Jen said...

If it were me, I'd go with the earlier date. It's nice to have your own doc, and it's only two vacation days. You only have a kid once in a blue moon, so you may as well do it early since an extra three days might feel like an extra three months at that point.

However, I am also a firm believer of listening to your gut. If it tells you later, do it.

Amy said...

How many vacation days does Mark get for the year? If it's only a week, two will take half of your yearly vacation days and it might not be worth it.

If he gets 2 or more weeks it would probably be worth it to have your Dr. there and have the baby a few days early. Either way it's a tough call! Good luck

Liz said...

Don't do the Castor Oil! My sis-in-law tried it and it just made her vomit and more miserable but no baby came.
I had my doctor for both babies, but with Kelty I had no help. I was a nervous wreck (as you probably saw...) I had Adelyn four days before Adam's biggest deadline of the year. So still not too much help (but my mom was there this time). I would take the help from Mark if no one else is coming to help you, but that is my opinion. I agree that you should follow your gut.

The Yoder's Five said...

...He only has 4 1/2 vacation days left until next May. So we don't want to waste any!

Bell Family Blog said...

Well when Chloe was born and Dr. Sanders was my OB I was induced as well but guess what? Dr. Sanders didn't even make anyways and the nurse delivered Chloe. Made me quite upset, but anyways the nurses kept calling him at his office telling him that he needed to hurry over because Chloe was coming, they kept calling him over an hour and then out she came and no doctor in sight. He walked in right after she was born and then he got all mad at the nurses, like it was there fault he wasn't there. So if I was you I would do it on the first. That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Bell Family Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachelle said...

With only 4 1/2 vacay days left, I'd wait for the 1st. Then - heaven forbid - if you or the kids have any terrible illnesses through the winter, Mark would still have time to take off to help you!!!

Whatever you decide, we're thinking of you and praying this will be a smooth delivery with Mom and Babe healthy at the end!