Monday, August 24, 2009

Worth every penny

8/24/09


You are looking at an officially potty trained girl!
Yeah, it only took like five years, I know. As I have blogged before, Madelyn is not one to be told what to do (she is allowed to be bossy--apparently no one else is). So after patiently waiting until she was good and ready, like all the child development people say you should, the thing that finally put her over the edge at the beginning of this year was a sticker chart that earned her mermaid dolls (results shown above). We'd spent the previous year and a half encouraging and having the potty talk before she actually produced some results. She'd sit and hang out on her potty, but not actually go.

So there I was this January with a four-year old still in Pull-Ups, wondering if she'd even be able to attend preschool because of this. But once she finally took initiative in MAY, things were great! Then of course we moved and she regressed and we practically had to start all over again, and I hope to the heavens that doesn't happen again when her baby brother is born. Sigh... So yes, I am one of those moms who bribe their kids. And if you're one of those moms whose kids cheerfully allow themselves to be trained at two years old: you stink.

Also,

VoilĂ !

I finished the baby's quilted wall hanging! I have always loved the pinwheel pattern and wanted to try it. I even made the whole thing from fabric I already had, so it didn't really cost anything. It's kind of a step up from the one I made Madelyn:


The pinwheel one only had a minimal amount of unpicking and cursing involved. I always have trouble with the binding--I think mine will always have puckers and twists no matter what. Oh, well. Now I only have a couple more things to add to the nursery before it's done. It is looking sooo cute, I can't wait to show you!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Do you do bias binding? If not, it could change your life forever.

Jen said...

PS, super cute quilts, congrats on the passing through from the hellish ordeal.

Katie said...

Hooray Madelyn! Cute quilt!!

Jessica said...

Congrats Madelyn, and no my two year old did not cheerfully potty-train, I bribed with everything under the sun;)

The Mursets said...

The quilt looks fabulous...I thought Madelyn had been potty trained for awhile now. Glad it is official!

Kathryn M. said...

I took a class in machine quilting and it was wonderful. Well worth the time and money, which actually wasn't very expensive.
Kirstin potty trained herself but the three boys more than made up for the ease of their sister. Least now you're done, well with her anyway. ;)

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Woo hoo! I'm sure I'll be bribing my kids, too. I love your quilts!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation madelyn!!! I love your quilts they are beautiful! It made me think about the various projects I've started but are left in the corner...