Saturday, January 31, 2009

I need your advice...

1/31/09

Mark and I have to speak in church next Sunday. (Plus they called us to teach in Primary--Madelyn's CTR 5 class. Fantastic.) Anyhoo, we're supposed to talk about marriage, love, and having healthy relationships. Sooo... we are wanting little nuggets of wisdom from you all about the subject so that we won't have to spend long hours researching it ourselves. You can give us examples of what does and doesn't work. For instance:

Flowers on anniversary=good
Moving across several state lines on anniversary=bad

Socks on floor=bad
Doing the dishes=good!

cranky=bad
cookies=good

...You get the idea. So let's hear all your advice! C'mon and give us something juicy. We want these talks to be good.

11 comments:

Liz said...

date night=good
overnight getaway=even better
Real vacation= Priceless

Toilet seat down=great
Holding wifes hair while she hurls with morning sickness=commitment (He did it for me both pregnancies, what a guy).
Good luck on the talks!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

So you know how Jeremy is always gone...in med school especially it was difficult to get used to, and I was mad about it (even though he couldn't control it), and we would fight a lot when he would come home. He was so good and would always say, "Why are we spending our time fighting when I'm home? We already don't see each other very often, let's not spend it fighting." So I think that's been really good for our marriage. He can't control how much time he's at the hospital, and I've learned to not complain about it and we enjoy the time that we have together. This also reminds me of this sweet relief society president I had back in NY. When we moved there her husband had just died of cancer. She was giving a lesson, and near the end of it she said something to the effect of, "Instead of asking 'Why didn't I get 30 more years?' I say, 'I'm grateful for the 30 years I had.'" I think be grateful for your spouse and the things they do for you, and what they sacrifice for you.

Dad giving mom a break and taking care of kids = sane mother = very very good thing

Rachelle said...

Hey, great comment Nadia! I really like that. Make sure you include Nadia's comment in your talk, Melissa!

So, I was writing a comment and got really long winded. I'm going to send it to you on FB, so check your inbox!

Kathryn M. said...

Communication is key!

The Mursets said...

I obey Monica 100% and we're good.

Natalie said...

I found this funny recipe card:

MARRIAGE*

1 lifelong commitment
16 toilet seat lessons
1/2 hour daily cuddling
5 annual reminders about anniversary
21,000 home cooked dinners
30,000 shirts folded
19 subtle hints about breath
2 1/2 pieces lingerie
3 self-help books

Blend ingredients, keeping expectations at low. Let simmer 50+ years. Bring to a boil when necessary.

*RESULTS MAY VARY

Jen said...

I love all of the comments so far.

Praying for the plumbing to be fixed while husband stands underneath=bad. also, wet and gross for husband.

I like the old quote, keep your eyes wide open while dating and closed after marriage.

There is a great article in the Ensign about looking at the positive side: "Reflection?" something like that.

Hayden and Kelly said...

Hey! I just gave a talk in Sacrament about this too. There is a great talk in the Ensign. I think it's Sept/Oct/Nov. I can't remember. It's called Toothpaste on the Mirror. It's awesome. I also talked about instead of nagging my husband for putting the measuring cups in the wrong cupboard, insteadt to be thankful that he was trying to help me. Anyway, I think I have it typed out. Do you want me to email it to you? PS Michael Phelps??? I know you must be devistated

Hayden and Kelly said...

PPS I've been in primary for the last 5 years. Deseret Book has GREAT activity books that go right along with your manuals. They have awesome games, cutouts, and ideas which help the kids. They make the lessons a TON more interesting. They have a couple different ones. If you just go to the Deseret Book there, in the primary section, you can find them.

things we love... said...

Totally agree with the first comment!!! Putting the toilet seat down: Homemade dinner everyday that you do it!!!!!!!!!!
Putting cloths next to the hamper: BAD!!!
Now inside the hamper: Great job and a pat on the back!!!

Chris said...

When Brant was in school & working nights we only saw each other 1.5 days -2 days out of the week. We kept a notebook on the bathroom counter to write notes to each other on how our day was or other sweet love notes. It helped a-lot!!!