Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

1/1/09

Wow, 2009. We rang in the new year by Mark telling me I needed to get rid of the "hideous" background that was on our blog. Thanks, dearest.

I've been wanting to post about our highlights of 2008, so here they are in no particular order:

The addition of a new sister-in-law (Nikki Yoder) and two nieces (Hattie and Ava Murset) to our extended family. We love you girls!!

The birth of my business, Desert Rain Designs. I did about $300 in business just this last month, which I can still hardly believe. Thanks to everyone who has ordered! This chunky moonstone necklace is still for sale, by the way...

Mark finally got out of the classroom and started doing some hands-on stuff in his clinical rotations. Even MORE exciting will be his graduation in the spring and his first job!

All our good times with the Richards family: Jeremy, Nadia and of course "Beckham-Ravi" as Madelyn calls them.

All our good times with my Grandma Nora (above, pushing cart). Madelyn and I usually spent a day with her every week, and we almost always went to Smith's together. They remodeled about halfway during the year and put in this tortilleria, which has fresh tortillas so good it is worth me driving back 600 miles just to go get some more. (And some of their green chile cheese bagels and aguas frescas...)

Obsessions:

Well, this blog....Since I started in April I have done an average of one post every 2.3 days. If that doesn't tell you a few things about my personality, then my 103 posts will.


The Summer Olympics were fabulous, and in no small part due to Greek god Michael Phelps. I've been a teensy bit infatuated since the games. I have a GQ and a wall calendar of him to prove it.


I know it's obnoxious how much I swoon over these guys, but Angels and Airwaves (AVA) put out one of the best albums I have ever heard at the end of 2007-- I-Empire. I don't think more than a handful of days went by in 2008 without us listening to it. Madelyn knows and loves their music, and Mark and I both love them so much that we unknowingly bought each other copies of their band documentary Start the Machine for Christmas. I am currently in the market for a Tom DeLonge pillowcase to go alongside my Luke Skywalker one...

I-Empire is so stinking good that it has made into our unofficial shrine to our most hallowed rock albums--including The White Album by The Beatles, The Joshua Tree by U2, The Division Bell by Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin IV by Led Zeppelin. Seeing that all of those were released at least 15-40 years ago, we were waiting a long time for this music to come along.

And now a look back in pictures:

Winter: Our little dress-up queen, Albuquerque Aquarium and a giant snowball

Spring: A visit from my mom, Mark's white coat ceremony, an Albuquerque Isotopes baseball game

Summer: 2008 Chatwin family reunion in Albuquerque, lazy afternoons in the backyard with Beckham and Ravi

Fall: Madelyn and her beloved witch costume, Zoo Boo, body painting, and of course her short foray into the panty-wearing world.

I am looking forward to 2009 being a year of big changes for our little family. I'll keep you posted! See you in 2.3 days.

7 comments:

Nadia and Jeremy said...

and remember WHO got you that Michael Phelps calendar.

Liz said...

Oh yeah, the outdoor magazine that you bought Adam the Subscription for came...and I totally thought of you. In fact I think I might have to give it to you. I doubt it will take you to many guesses to guess who is on the cover.

The Yoder's Five said...

Hem hem. I already have two copies of that particular Outside issue.

Adam said...

Well, I want to know what Mark thinks of your infatuations. I think that its neat you both enjoy the same music. Thanks again for the AVA cd. I have really enjoyed it. I even let one of my co-workers borrow it and got him hooked. Did I tell you that I read on Wikipedia that the guy that did the album artwork is the same guy that did the artwork for Star Wars pictures?

Thank you both very much for the subscription to Outside magazine. That was a very generous gift. I will enjoy it for sure. Thank you for the "Open It" tool. It was a highlight of Christmas day as everyone took turns using it to open their new toys. It's very handy.

Hope the Yoder's three can come visit sometime. Take care and happy new year!

Carolina mama said...

Now I know who Tom DeLonge is.

Rob N Amy said...

Fresh homemade tortillas sound soooo good. Yum! Madelyn is so cute. Are to getting settled? I hope things are well.

Jessica said...

Sorry about not getting you an address...that is if I didn't... I don't remember to be honest, but I would love to stay in touch. We just got the internet again. I loved reading about 2008. Your family looks beautiful!!!