Friday, June 20, 2008

Two down, Six to Go!

Mark, Dayna and Steph, with Madelyn checking out her tootsie pop

6/20/08

Yay! Mark has passed his second rotation! That one went by pretty fast, probably because it was very low-key. He was doing his behavioral medicine rotation at the "Counseling and Psychotherapy Institute", aka CPI. He was there at the same time as two of his fellow PA students, Dayna and Stephanie. They basically never did anything medically related, but sat in on therapy sessions. They were just supposed to observe and learn and not make any comments unless they were in a group session. I think Mark realized how good his life has been after hearing about other people's issues all day. He was liked by everyone and had a good time. He made friends with the staff and especially Dr. Wells, his preceptor (a nice change from rotation #1!).

He will be starting his internal medicine rotation on Monday. He'll be working with 2 licensed PA's at the "Integrated Specialty Hospital", a long term skilled nursing facility. It sounds like he's is going to be very busy. We'll see how it goes.

The PA students with Dr. Wells, the psychologist who runs the place

In other exciting news, Mark was being thoughtful and refilling the Jet Dry in the dishwasher the other day. Or at least that's what he thought he was doing. I had gone to do the same thing the day before, but we were all out. So what Mark grabbed and squirted into the reservoir was actually liquid dish soap... (Kelly, I think you have a similar story, no?) I had bought a small bottle of Joy which was under the sink and apparently that's why Mark didn't notice (although I've never seen yellow Jet Dry before, but men just don't have the same attention to detail anyway). So, just one drop of that stuff makes a ton of suds ("ultra concentrated", the label boasts), so imagine what all of that was going to do.

Luckily, I noticed the odd bright green color of the "Jet Dry" before I turned on the dishwasher. So then I had to get medicine droppers and draw it out, and when that didn't get it all, I had to get a straw and suck it out. Oh, yes, it was disgusting. I was trying to be careful to not get any in my mouth, but some bubbles got in and my mouth was fairly numb afterwards from whatever the heck I was siphoning. There must be some left in there, too, because every time you run the dishwasher now, 5 minutes into the cycle the suds just start spewing out everywhere. It is kind of comical, but of course I'm exasperated with Mark. I'm not sure they're teaching him everything at that school of his.

Now for some random pictures.

Madelyn got some Tinkerbell barrettes, and had to wear all 8 of them as soon as we got home. Of course, she doesn't want to wear any of them now. (Having only now just grown enough hair for such things, she is not used to having it done up.)

Hanging out in the dirty laundry, watching Saturday morning cartoons

Passed out on the recliner waiting for mama to finish blogging the other day

Madelyn at one month, laying on the same recliner. Look how much she's grown!

I'm assuming the "green bwanky" was for cape purposes, since it was over 90 degrees outside. She used to call the ladder the "reach". Ever since she could, she has loved climbing up that thing. We have to hide it in the vacuum closet for her own safety.

5 comments:

The Mursets said...

Hooray for Mark! We are so excited for you guys. That is so funny about the soap~ I can't believe you had to suck the stuff out with a straw! You should have had Mark take care of that.

The Yoder's Five said...

Yeah, he said he was going to, but was gone so much that he just forgot about it. I had two days of dishes piling up and finally decided to do it myself. Blech.

Aut said...

Congrats Mark!! I couldn't stop laughing as I read that soap story!! Sadly, we went to buy a dishwasher the other week and the salesman had to teach me what jet dry was and how to use it!!

Amy said...

The dishwasher problem is so funny. I could totally see Bob doing something like that. Ha, Ha.

Anonymous said...

ok, first of all mark. what a nut, but major kudos for trying! and that girl of yours is adorable! i think it comes with the birthday really. but i'm a little partial!