Monday, June 16, 2008

1996

Check out Mark as a surf bum in his glory days. I keep this picture on my fridge to remind myself how smoking HOT he is. (Are you seeing the tan, six pack abs and the pecs??)

Go on, I know you're having a good chuckle at the dresses. Hey--I won the evening gown competition in that thing. And hot pink is still my second favorite color.


What were you doing in 1996?

Last night at like, 12:30, Mark decided to haul out his high school yearbook from his senior year in 1996. (One of those random things you do when you're up late already and figure why not do something...) His graduating class only had 75 people in it, so it didn't take long to look through. He had a good time showing me the 12 different girls that had crushes on him, the rednecks, the jocks, his old girlfriends, etc. Looking at everyone made me realize that high school dorkiness must really be a universal thing.

I was a freshman in 1996. I was mostly just dancing a lot and trying to keep straight A's. Fairly boring. Oh, the picture above (which I probably shouldn't have posted because it's copyrighted) was the 1996 Hurricane City Royalty. I was in the pageant two years in a row and the second year won second runner-up. We mostly just built a float (which won a big prize but I can't remember what) for the annual Washington County Fair parade and represented our city during the fair. Then we helped put on the pageant the next year. Fun fact: my sister-in-law Lori Murset was also second runner-up in the Miss Hurricane pageant a couple years later. Post a picture, Lori!!

Aahhh, small town life.

Anyways, Natalie has tagged me. I know you're all tired about hearing about me, but what the heck.

3 Joys
* Watching Madelyn learn new things
* Watching Mark succeed and be liked wherever he goes
* Being creative

3 Fears
* cliff ledges
* needles
* fear of getting really sick again the next time I get pregnant

3 Goals
* Finish getting ready to have 8 people come stay at my house in a couple weeks. I have a HUGE to-do list
* Somehow potty-train Madelyn
* To go to bed at a reasonable time (ha!), stop being late to church (ha, ha!), and to refrain from going shopping so much (...who am I kidding?)

3 Obsessions/Collections
* Well, I'm obsessive about a lot of things: cleaning, crafting, shopping, taking pictures, blogging...
* I collect ballet ornaments for my Christmas tree
* I also collect pens, markers, pencils and stickers

3 Random,Surprising facts
* I have a crooked uvula (dangly thing in the back of your throat). A nerve probably got tweaked when I had my wisdom teeth surgery.
* Although I am a clean freak in regards to my yard and my house, my car is always a filthy pig sty.
* I have Achoo syndrome. Also known as "photic sneeze" or "helio-ophthalmic outburst syndrome". (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11491) Basically, I always sneeze when I come into bright light. Pay attention next time you watch me walk out into the glaring sun.

Well, that was fun. If Liz, Kelly, Rashahn and Jen want to do it, then I tag them.

9 comments:

The Mursets said...

I love the flashback pictures! I too did the whole pageant thing, but by the time I did them the poofy sleeves were out. We sure do get tagged a ton, I have to go and do this tag too now.

The Yoder's Five said...

I know, 1996 was pretty much the last year the poofy sleeves were in vogue. Then next year when I had to crown my successor, I wore the same dress (who wants to shell out another $100 for 5 minutes on stage?) I was sticking out like a sore thumb. I did get a new understated black dress that I wore to my next 3 pageants.

(next 3 pageants! We need to talk about this when I see you next. Now I want to see pictures of you, too.)

Carolina mama said...

Aw come on! We love to look at your blog! And also, I am giving away that flowery purse! I shall bring it to the family reunion :)

Carolina mama said...

I'm going to pretend for a few days that Natsprat didn't tag me.

Natalie said...

Those pictures were great! Thanks for doing this...I'll give you a "tag-free" pass for the next month, okay? ;)

Chris said...

Brant & I both graduated in 1996 too.
I wore roughed up jeans 4 sizes too large with tighter shirts. Mostly black & white with red accents. Actually I think I started to add color to my wardrobe in 1996 & tossed all my flannel shirts.
Fashion!

Jen said...

I think the pageant picture is fantastic. I'm pretty sure Brittany did well with a similar sparkly pink dress. Sparkly and pink is a winning combination.

Project Maniac said...

You had huge sleeves on your dress and I had none! I know, shocking, isn't it! It was the only dress that I had access to that made me look good. I picked it out the night before the pageant in my Aunt Helen's house. It was one of my cousin's prom dresses. I had sewed a dress for it, but it DID NOT look good on the stage. I was completely washed out because it was black and gold. So the pink sparkly combo it good!! My dress was a kind of bright coral color. I don't remember what grade I was in in 1996. I'll have to go find out.

Katie said...

These are so fun! Thanks for posting the flashback pictures :o)