Sunday, March 30, 2014

My b-day and other goings on


My birthday was on Wednesday, and I made myself this cake. Mostly, the "frosting" (berry mousse) was the best part and yes, I sat down with a spoon and just ate it right out of the bowl. It was my birthday!!! (By the way, here's the link to my recipe.)

Honestly, as far as birthdays go, it was really more of like a normal drudge filled Wednesday--only even more chaotic than usual. Mark had to stay at work all the way through lunch and then had to celebrate the clinic's birthday (...the irony) till 7:00 pm and then had night clinic till 8:30 pm. I had been mostly cleaning house for hours and running the kids around.

 So, by the time we finally had cake late that night, we were all run ragged. Although I am always in a state of dazed fatigue these days.
 Oh yeah, and we got two inches of snow that day. My favorite!! Luke was stoked anyway.

However, I had a really good facebook birthday--meaning like 50 people who would never normally know or care made sure to wish me a happy birthday. AND my friend Jenny Norton threw me an online baby shower! People logged on (it was a facebook event) and participated in games and exchanged stories and guessed when I'll have the baby and how big she'll be, etc. It was fun!

Stuff from Jenny Norton from my Amazon registry

I have two online registries at Amazon and Target that people ordered stuff from and also some very kind souls contributed through Paypal for a group gift. I was finally able to order my new travel system! *Sigh of relief*



 Outfits from my friend Mindee Knight

 Mini quilt from my friend Jenny Chamberlain

 Crocheted chenille afghan from Becky, who works with Mark

On Friday night, we were finally able to have my birthday dinner and Madelyn was so excited because we got Japanese takeout from Ninja courtesy of a gift certificate someone gave to Mark. This girl LOVES her California rolls (which have crab meat, cucumber and avocado wrapped in seaweed and sticky rice). She and I ate two whole rolls between us, and Mark had his favorite Bonsai sushi roll, which has actual raw salmon (noooo thank you). We also got a beef teryaki entree and some chicken Yakisoba noodles. It was all so yummy.

In other happenings:

Madelyn was a finalist in the science fair this year! We did her project on whether hot, cold or warm water removed set in stains the best (warm water did). I had no expectations for her to win anything, since this was sort of a "Let's just get this over with" sort of project that we did several weeks ago. 

There were several finalists from each grade in the science, math and engineering categories. Madelyn didn't end up getting a ribbon (the top 4 did) but we are still so proud of her!

Everyone always enjoys Tiger snuggles.

  
  Him and that couch crevice!

Sometimes we arrange a fish viewing stool for his convenience.

We had my sister Maria's girls Emery and Nora over for the afternoon Saturday before last. Madelyn was so good with them.

Nora (11 months) was sad because she'd burned her hand the day before. Normally she is very happy go lucky. She's so cute, though!

Mark sure is good with kids, too. Lucky to have him!

3 comments:

Carolina mama said...

So many happy happenings. Happy Post Birthday. I love you all.

Katie said...

Your cake looks delicious!!

Rachelle said...

I'm so glad that you were able to get the car seat/stroller combo! I always love the awesome handmade-with-love gifts that you have given me over the years, so I was torn between wanting to get you something that you really *need* versus being able to give you something homemade. Oh well, there was a lot of love behind each point and click that put a little cash into your paypal account! The baby shower was really fun. Such a great idea!

Yummy cake, yummy dinner - glad you got a little birthday fun on an otherwise crummy day/weekend. I hope you got a long nap in there at some point, too!