I was going to make strawberry shortcake for my birthday, but then decided to experiment and make some homemade mousse and use it for the frosting instead. It was YUMMY! I used my recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Tarts and instead of making little tarts, I used some of the mousse to frost the cake and then the rest of it went into a graham cracker pie crust to be frozen for later. Two desserts in one--can't beat that.
Berry Mousse Cake
by Melissa Yoder
1 box white cake mix, prepared and baked in two 8-inch round pans*
8 oz. Cool Whip
8 oz. softened cream cheese
3/4 cup seedless jam (I used raspberry)
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup sliced strawberries
Completely soften cream cheese to room temperature. (This takes a few hours sitting out on the counter--or you can carefully nuke it at 50% power.) Place in mixing bowl with jam and sweetened condensed milk. Beat until fluffy and well combined--tiny lumps may remain. Fold in Cool Whip.
Use mousse to frost between the layers of cake and all over the outside. There will be a lot of extra. Top with sliced strawberries. Chill in fridge for 1 hour and serve. Keep leftovers covered and refrigerated.
*For a moister cake, add 1 (3.5 oz) box instant dry vanilla pudding to the mix and bake as usual.
Use extra mousse to fill prepared graham cracker crust. Freeze or refrigerate until needed. Serve cold, topped with Cool Whip and sliced berries of your choice.
*Or you can use the extra mousse as fruit dip, or just eat it out of the bowl with a spoon. I won't judge.
Cool, refreshing, easy and delicious!
2 comments:
I could so go for a slice of that right now...yummmmm
Looks delish!
Post a Comment