Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Luke finds a new way to Drive Mom Crazy, and other goings on

I can't believe we're halfway through January, sheesh. It has been hard to blog this past week with all that's been happening.


 Luke used to be afraid of the cat. Now he won't leave him alone. A couple of weeks ago, Tiger got some clumps of litter stuck deep in his paw, and Luke made it his personal mission to pull them out. He found a pair of wire strippers of his dad's in the garage and I spent the better part of two days trying to stop him from pinching Tiger's toes off with them. Then he insisted on going to bed with the tool by him on the pillow, and gave it a big kiss goodnight.

Never underestimate the weirdness of kids.


 Tiger decided early on that the safest place in our house was under my bed. I have some blankets and bags stored under there but there's still some room for him to curl up and sleep. Every day, I go in there now and Luke has dragged the bins out so he can get under there and harass the cat.

He hears "LEAVE THE CAT ALONE!" about 17 times a day from me now. Drives me absolutely nuts.

 
Tiger sometimes just gives up and sleeps in my closet instead, where he can keep a better eye on things. Luke is just trying to pet him most of the time, but his habit of watching funny cat videos on YouTube every day also makes him want to get crazy reactions out of him. So he's constantly making loud noises, waving stuff in his face, etc. Poor cat.

 He's very tolerant, though.

He hangs out in the living room with us more now. It's cozy having a big fluffy cat around.

He's discovered Madelyn's windowsill and now we raise the blinds about a foot each night so he can sit and look out the window without making a huge ruckus climbing behind them.

 Madelyn harvested Luke some snow last night.....sort of gross considering it's been a couple of weeks since our last snowfall. He also eats crushed ice out of the freezer all the time.

He always wants in when it's nail painting time. Yesterday we painted them green and Mark is not too happy about that.

 
 Mark's folks came up for a visit on Sunday, and normally Luke is very stand-offish with regard to his grandparents, but Grandpa Frank was willing to fence/joust/shoot guns with him and so then Luke decided it was okay to be on his lap.

 This was in response to "Show us your muscles!"

 I think I finally got another preschool lined up for him in the fall. The first one I called had a waiting list of 70 kids, the second one hasn't responded yet but I found out it has a class size of 35 and you have to go 4-5 times a week. (I'm too lazy for such nonsense, especially since I'll have to schlep a baby to drop off/pick up twice a day.) I finally think I got a spot for him at a third school that was recommended by a couple of friends. She said they'd be working on letters and phonics, etc. 

This is a pile of books Luke read to me word for word the other night. I think he'll still love preschool, I just hope he won't be bored!

 My big project over the weekend was going through all the bins of Luke's outgrown clothes. I hauled 13 bins out of the storage unit and attic (my friend Nadia had given me all the clothes both her boys had worn from size 2-4T so there was a lot). It took me a few days and was way more tiring than you might think. I had 10 bags of clothes to give away to friends and am hanging on to some of the best stuff to keep for when one of my sisters has a baby boy.

 I came across a stack of some of his teeny newborn onesies and undershirts. Squee!! I saved them out for Baby QQ. Can't believe my kids used to be that small.

While I was in the middle of all this, I decided that it was also time to wash all the pillows, throws and couch cushion covers. I also went through Madelyn's closet and pulled out all the clothes she's outgrown, and sorted through two bins of my maternity clothes. Then I decided that next on my list is to de-junk my junk drawers. Pregnant women and cleaning--what is up with that?!

 And lastly, Madelyn and I went to the salon for haircuts last week. This was her first "real" haircut and she loved it! I have been cutting her hair but it's too thick for me now. The last time I feel like I butchered it (it ended up way shorter than planned) so I let Meleese take over.

 It's still pretty much the same haircut--a cute layered bob, but this time someone who knows what they're doing cut it! What a cute girl.

3 comments:

Carolina mama said...

I am in love with your kids cuteness and your easy going cat, whom we still haven't met.

The Mursets said...

Fun times! I love how chill Tiger is. Madelyn's hair looks great- she did a great job of making it not look so heavy.

Rachelle said...

Cute hair! I totally remember going through the clothes bins, and how exhausting that is. My upper back killed after all that searching, washing, and folding! Well done, my friend. Well done!