Friday, September 6, 2013

Kolob

I was on the road Sunday morning by myself by 7:45 am (gross) and as I was driving past Kolob, I noticed a lot of fog and dramatic clouds over there. Lucky for me, the clouds were still there when I was driving back around 1:30 pm. Normally that is a bad time of day for landscape pictures, but the clouds diffused all the light. So I told Mark that I was going to take a detour on the way home.

I took a bunch of pictures there last year, but since the whole fam was with me, I couldn't stop as often as I wanted. This time I pulled off the road about a dozen times.

So, Kolob is part of Zion National Park and it's only 20 minutes from our house. You turn off the freeway, stop in at the Visitor's Center to show your park pass (or buy one...if yours has expired...even if it's Sunday...*cough*cough*) and like two minutes later:

BAM!

Sometimes, I couldn't pull over, so I'd just hold my camera up in a general direction, click at something while keeping my eyes on the road and hope for the best.


(Cinemascope filter)

It started raining while I was taking these. It's really hard to describe the feeling of being there--these are HUGE mountains.

Jurassic age Navajo sandstone, y'all.

It was a beautiful, cool, misty rain.

There are some hikes that take you down into the canyons. They are supposedly really beautiful but kind of intense.


Remember the panorama I did last year?


My brother Kevin helped  me make another one! I want to have one printed for my living room, but I can't decide which. (Click on them to view full size.)

Btw, all these pictures were taken with my little point and shoot Canon Powershot ELPH 300 HS.



 Sigh! Sorry for so many pictures. I guess you just had to be there.

4 comments:

Maria Nielson said...

Oh my gosh, I love love love Kolob.

Rachelle said...

You should make a coffee table book out of all the gorgeous pictures you've taken in your neck of the woods and give it as a Christmas gift! So gorgeous, and definitely invokes a feeling of reverence and awe for Heavenly Father's power.

Kathryn M. said...

The coffee table book is a great idea. There's this app I have called Mosaic that would work great. Check it out!

Heather Wells said...

Oh so pretty. Makes me want to come join you with my camera!!