Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Vegas

We just spent the weekend in Vegas with Mark's family.

The kids have a new favorite uncle. Because Uncle John has a pool!!! (And Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.) All they ever want from life is to go swimming and watch TV in the summer.

To sum up: The kids and Mark went swimming right when we got there and took advantage of the extra daylight hour we gained crossing over into Nevada from Utah. I was ridiculously exhausted so I just read a book.

Next day:

After dragging everyone to Target to go school shopping, we went to Town Square (always the highlight of my trip) and went to H&M. Then Madelyn and I found this Sanrio store that was floor to ceiling Hello Kitty. We were both squealing with girly happiness. Hello Kitty was popular when I was a kid--I felt like I was 8 years old again.

Madelyn got this itty bitty gumball machine. It's the CUTEST THING. Mark was just like, "Ughhh....there's too much pink everywhere....."

Then the kids got back in the pool. Mark and Madelyn were in charge of packing for themselves and Luke, which is why Luke had no swim trunks and why we had to go out and buy clean underwear for Madelyn.....

We decided to take the kids out to see some Vegas lights that night, since they'd never been.

 We had just watched the classic music video of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2, which was filmed right in this spot. Mark wanted to go there because of that.

We didn't have much time, so we just went to the Fremont Street Experience. It is a wild and crazy place! And LOUD! And it was still 99° out, even though it was past 9:00pm. Ah, Vegas.

There's one of the Elvises we saw

The real Elvis' last car he owned. This same casino had a big pile of cash equaling 1 million dollars on a table that I tried taking a picture of, but it turned out blurry.

 Bumblebee and Optimus Prime

Ironman, Spiderman and Wolverine really wanted to get a picture with Luke (who happened to be wearing a Green Lantern shirt). Weirdos characters like that are all over the place, who will pose for pictures for tips.

It happened to be Free Concert Saturday, and The Presidents of the United States of America (a band) was playing. Did I mention it was loud?? Luke actually got a bloody nose right when we arrived on the scene. I wonder if it had anything to do with the 400 decibels.

We got something to eat at the Fremont hotel and Luke desperately wanted to go play some slots. All the buttons and lights! It was like a big arcade! Haha. They were so tired by the time we went back.

The next day (Sunday), Mark's sister Sumi, her husband Mike (manning the grill) and her two coworkers flew out from North Carolina and we had a big family get together.

Mark's folks drove up from Hurricane along with Sumi and Mike's daughter Amber who goes to BYU. Frank Sr. ALWAYS wants to play cards when his kids are around.

(photo courtesy of my sister-in-law Rose)

  Luke impressed everyone with Uncle John's word tiles (he used to teach 4th grade) because he could read almost all of them!

Madelyn and her cousin Autumn are always so excited to see each other. Autumn had brought her swimsuit, which meant my kids wanted to get back in the pool, too...

It was 107° out and completely miserable outside, I guess I can't blame them.

Kathy, Frank and Sumi (their oldest child out of 10)

Frank Jr. Mark, Kathy, Frank, Sumi, Amber and Mike Cosgrove

 
Frank Jr., Mark, Kathy, Frank, Sumi and John. Their brother Mike and his wife Diann were there earlier, but we didn't get their picture. They also live in Vegas along with John and Frank Jr.

 Everyone had a good time. We don't get to see the east coast sisters very often.

 
Luke (who was reduced to swimming in his underwear) was not happy about having to get out of the pool to go home.

But when we did get home, it was a whole 20° cooler!

1 comment:

Heather Wells said...

He has superman underwear?! How cool is he. That picture is pretty funny. And I am almost certain I had a gum ball toy just like that. :)