Saturday, May 18, 2013

Meg's last recital

Two Saturdays ago, my baby sister Megan had her last ballet recital of her high school career. I ended up going by myself because Madelyn had a level 10 meltdown 20 minutes before it was time to leave, and Mark stays home with Luke as a general rule. Westside Studio has a LOT of students and so there were over 40 dance numbers to watch in one sitting. (Which is why Madelyn didn't want to go...) Oy.

Meg was the only senior in her group this year, and so she got a special dedication in the program and also a presentation on stage:




My mom said that this was the end of 24 years of ballet recitals, starting from when I was 8 years old. Add in the fact that we lived 20 miles from where our lessons were, and that's a lot of driving and time and money! I'm so glad that my sisters and I have such dedicated parents.

My niece Ava (on the far left) had her first dance on stage. She is 4 and such a cutie!

I was taking these pictures zoomed in from halfway back in the auditorium, so they're not the best quality...my dad took a couple of the smaller ones.

Meg danced Kitri's Variation from Don Quixote and was FABULOUUUUSSSS


Her second dance, Music of the Night was so beautiful and I wish I had a video. My mom and I were sitting by each other and were bawling through most of it.

 
 My nephew Nathan (7) did the Men in Black dance with his hip hop group. I totally did that dance when I was in high school. Good times, good times.

Meg's third dance was with the Pro Street Company group (her and some college aged girls). They dance in a jazz/contemporary style that I was always rubbish at. The dance is called Black Swan. The lighting was dark the whole time for artsy reasons.



Afterwards, we all celebrated in the lobby. 
Suddenly I feel like I didn't have enough makeup on. Hahaha 

The folks

Ava

 
 Nathan, Ava, Tyler and Monica

It was May 4th--Star Wars Day ("May the Fourth Be With You"), which I almost forgot about. Luckily I remembered in time for the performance. I had to show solidarity with my nerdy sister.

This fall, she'll be dancing at Utah Valley University in Orem. I'm going to miss her so much!!

2 comments:

The Mursets said...

It was a loooong night but so worth staying to the end to watch Meg's dances....I too got choked up during Music of the Night~it was so beautiful!

things we love... said...

Ok I am in love with your shirt. And your sister is so beautiful. It runs in your family!!! I can't believe how big your kiddos are. It is so crazy!!! All of the pictures are very beautiful of her recital!!