We finally made it to my grandma Mary Murset's house in Sherman Oaks, CA on Sunday afternoon after our jaunts to the San Diego Temple and Forest Lawn. Even though our stay was short, there is nothing better than hanging out in her back yard. I mean really! What I wouldn't give for her orange and lemon trees.....
G-ma has been in this house that she and my G-pa built for almost 65 years. She had an all white kitchen before it was trendy.
She made us a big ham dinner with fruit salad made with her oranges and a fresh pineapple. Madelyn had been talking about that fruit salad for a whole year, since we'd had it the last time.
We got to pick some oranges off the tree to take home with us--I am still trying to make them last.
G-ma's roses are something else. I have never seen rosebushes that flourish as much as hers do. She really loves her flowers.
The ones that grow on her front driveway (which I think technically belong to her neighbors, but they share them) are as big as your face.
We spent the evening chatting and catching up. G-ma, who is 95, has sure been around. She was telling us about when she and her family were moving from SLC, where she was born, to Los Angeles in the 1920s ("We got smart and moved to California" is how she put it). Las Vegas, NV was only about a block long, and the roads were paved with wood slats that would constantly get covered with sand and need to be swept off. Can you imagine?!
We sure love her and are so glad that we got to visit! The next morning, we had to pack up and head back home. I wish we'd had a few more days to spend in sunny Cali.
We got home at about 5:45 pm and rushed Madelyn to gymnastics at 6:00 pm and started in on our five loads of laundry. Family trips are SO much work, but I'm very glad we went!
1 comment:
Love G'ma!
You took so many really great pictures. Glad you had a nice trip.
Post a Comment