Madelyn just finished her second year of gymnastics. I went to watch the last half of her class about a month ago. It is a busy place!
Apparently, they had been doing gymnastic-y type stuff during the beginning of class that I missed, so I mostly saw her do her strength training exercises. She practiced swinging on the uneven bars and then had to do a bunch of chin-ups.
Here's a video of her climbing up a rope all the way to the top. I remember it took her most of her first year of gymnastics to be able to reach the bell. I was so proud of her. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that if I tried.
She will start up again in September, and in the meantime she wants to take ballet during the summer. I am going to sign her up at the studio where I take ballet and Pilates. I'm sure she'll love it.
A couple of weeks ago, I took her and Luke to the Kite Festival, which the school puts on every year. She had been reading at least 20 minutes a day all school year but for the Festival they just count three months' worth. She read 1680 minutes! (Way above the requirement.) She already had a kite and so this year she picked out a new book.
This was Luke's kite we brought--it is a teeny little frog about 4 inches long.
You can always count on it to be windy up on Leigh Hill in Cedar, but we still had trouble keeping our kites up. Mark is really good at it but he was at work.
Eventually he did come and join us. It was a very tiring event for me--trying to keep track of both kids in that big crowd.
Madelyn's school play was a couple weeks ago and it was very cute. It was called Bugz.
Madelyn was a ladybug with her friend Ashley and worked very hard memorizing her lines.
Luke is such a cheeseball.
Afterward, Mark had to go back to the hospital to see a newborn and the kids talked me into letting them play on the school playground.
Those kids.
Madelyn and I went to her "BFF" Emma Taylor's baptism last month. It's been nice for her to have a good friend live on our street.
Speaking of Emma....her mom is a certified teacher but mostly substitutes and tutors. Madelyn has been struggling with math all year. Her whole school began the Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math program this year, or STEAM, and they do about twice as much math as other schools do. Which for Madelyn (who is right brained) is a real challenge. She is a wonderful reader and does great in language arts, art and science and was a Stellar Student (honor roll) this quarter. But she was consistently failing her math tests, mostly because she could never finish all the problems in time. So about two months ago we hired Emma's mom Lisa to come twice a week to our house to tutor her in math. She is doing a lot better and we'll probably hire her back in the fall. Madelyn learns better with the extra one on one time.
She draws the best pictures in birthday cards! This one was for her cousin Cove's 1st birthday.
Oh, and a health update on the little Miss....she finished an 8-week course of low dose antibiotics for her recurring UTIs right before we went on our California trip. All seemed peachy until about a week and a half later, when she got UTI #6. Grooannnnnnn..... It happened on a Saturday night and by the time we got her to the clinic on Monday to test her urine, it had started to clear up on its own. So she didn't end up having to go back on antibiotics after all. (For now...) I was overjoyed--mostly because she is a stinker about taking her medicine. Instead of taking one teaspoon from a medicine cup once daily, she made me mix just half a teaspoon into a cup of hot cocoa in order to take it, and I had to mix it up for her twice a day. That is over 100 times!! (Not counting the other five times she had to do a 10 day antibiotic course this year.) UGH. We still have to be very cautious about keeping her clean and putting antibiotic ointment on her bum every day, but I guess that's a small price to pay to be healthy.
Zooming across the floor on daddy's skateboard
Taking a nap ♥♥♥
He loves playing with Madelyn's toys
He falls asleep watching his daddy play the XBox a lot.
He does this weird thing where he crawls along the floor with his head on the carpet.
Internet junkie (cartoons on Netflix and games on pbskidsgo.org). He typed his name the other day. L-u-k-e. He is reading several words. Hopefully we'll get him signed up for preschool soon!
Annd......here he is shuffling across the kitchen floor with one of my cake pans on each appendage. So delightful.
Lastly, a video of him doing his crazy dance for The Big Bang Theory theme song. We have five seasons of it on DVD and every single time we watch, he has to do this to the opening and closing credits. Usually he makes us get up off the couch to join in.
Happy Monday! (If there is such a thing.)


3 comments:
Beck also does that funny crawl with his head on the floor bit. Silly boys. Both kids are so cute!
Seems like I remember you saying M was maybe going to have some tests done to see why she gets so many UTIs. Did she ever have any done? Poor girl - what a hassle. Poor Mom, too!
@Rachelle, she did have an ultrasound a few months ago, but all it really showed was that her bladder doesn't void completely. She might still have to have more invasive testing done if the infections continue. :/
Post a Comment