Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"THE Chocolate Chip Cookie"

I know I've posted a recipe before for my favorite chocolate chip cookies, but when I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I decided to give it a try, because lately all our cookie attempts come out baked flatter than flat.

I know from all my food science training that our high altitude makes baking tricky, but ugh. Disappointing cookies are not helpful for my morale.

So this girl over at Sally's Baking Addiction developed a cookie recipe that is purported to bake up soft and fluffy, using a few methods: the addition of corn starch, using dark brown sugar (and altering the brown vs. white sugar ratio), refrigerating the dough and slightly under-baking them on cool baking sheets. The cornstarch makes them lighter and more tender by preventing gluten from forming, the dark brown sugar keeps them moist, as does the under-baking, and chilling the dough helps the cookies to hold their shape and not flatten out.

Well, folks. Check this out:


I made these last night, and they still taste fresh from the oven. Not stale, hard or flat AT ALL. And I didn't even have to do the usual high-altitude adjustments (more flour, less sugar, add water). Whaaaat.

This is the second time I've made them, but the first time I didn't have dark brown sugar, and I felt that they needed more salt, and some nuts, etc. So here is my adapted version of this surprisingly effective recipe. Just remember that you'll need time for chilling the dough. And I baked mine for 9 minutes--seemed to be the perfect amount.


 
THE Chocolate Chip Cookie


3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) salted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the chopped nuts until golden and fragrant. Set aside in a bowl to cool.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. On low speed, mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Drop 1 Tbsp balls of chilled dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes (but no longer), until barely golden brown around the edges. Let cool for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Make sure that your baking sheet has completely cooled (or use a fresh one) before baking the next batch.
Yield: 3 dozen.

Want to take these over the top? Try her Triple Chocolate Chip version!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, how do you keep your cuticles so nice? Second of all, I might just make these.

Heather Wells said...

you do have lovely cuticles... :) So does the dark brown sugar really make a difference? What is your opinion? I think I might try these anways (I only have light brown sugar). They look yummy!

The Yoder's Five said...

Um...thanks? Haha, I was pushing my cuticles back during church because I was bored.

Heather, the cookies seem to be moister with the dark brown sugar. My first time making them was with light brown sugar, and I noticed a difference. But if you can't wait--by all means just use light brown.(I also baked longer the first time--stick to the 9 minutes.)

things we love... said...

My mouth is watering, those look fabulous!! I am so glad to learn about the dark brwn sugar. I never buy it and now I am going to!!!! Thanks for your knowledge!!! Also, WOW! Your home looks amazing! I love your paint color, carpet, Madilynns bad, all of it! Sprawling out on new carpet, I like your style!!! I believe we have done the same thing:) You guys are so motivated. Ship some of your motivation up to us!!!!!!

things we love... said...

I keep scrolling through your pictures, holy cow it looks so good!!!! I love it!!!

Unknown said...

I push my cuticles back all the time, but they never come out looking that nice. :'( No fair.

Oh, and definitely making these cookies sometimes. Shhh, don't tell Paul.