Thursday, October 4, 2012

Changes: they are a comin'

I estimate that there's only about a 50/50 chance that I will make it through October with all of my brains intact. Here's why.

1. After 3 years of living with an only partially de-beiged house, we are finally on the cusp of obliterating the rest of it. 

 
This photo (taken by Luke on the kitchen counter), gives an accurate picture of our current paint colors. The accent wall was supposed to be gray/brown but instead it is olive green in certain lights, and the beige is too flesh-toned. (It finally dawned on me a couple weeks ago that that's why I hate it so much!)

I also want to put up some current family pictures and stuff up on that wall as well. You know, ones that show Luke a little older than 6 months. Maybe a gallery wall.

  
Do you know how hard it is to find a good neutral paint??!? I need a color that has less of a pink undertone and more of a khaki one. Or something. Oh yeah, and we did kind of a sloppy job when painting said accent wall, because we didn't think it would take another year and a half to decide on the other color. So there's that....

And we never repainted the baseboards in the kitchen after we ripped them off and then put them back on after our big flooring project in 2010. They look HORRIBLE.

We've just been too preoccupied with finishing the back yard, OK???!

I've got my gray/brown picked out (Flagstone by Martha Stewart) but still have to narrow down the lighter neutral. When it gets close to go time, I'll slap these sample paints up on the wall. We're going to have to get a 5 gallon bucket of the color, so you understand why I'm a little commitment-phobe.

(Want to read a hilarious post about someone else who went through the same thing? Check this one out from V and Co. I read it and was like, "I'm not crazy!! There are other women who have gone through this!!" and then left her a long, rambling comment.)

Anyway, so we have to paint half of the house, and all the trim and doors. No biggie.

2. We got measured for new carpet today. I can hardly believe it.

I've been dreaming of getting rid of this cheap, rough, dirty, stinky disgusting carpet ever since about a week before we even moved into this house. Thank you, Home Depot credit card! (We're getting 0% APR for 24 months--wooot)

Of course, that means that we're going to have to move ALL of the furniture/fish tank/bookshelves/TV/computer/toys/what have you off of the carpet in the bedrooms and living room, and then have the old stuff ripped out (I'm predicting a lot of dust and dander coming up from that stupid dog that used to live here), and then move it all back in.

Mark has taken a full week off of work to accommodate this process. It will be just like moving, except a lot less organized!

3. We have fall planting to do! Over 100 bulbs.....oy.

 
 My favorite flowers are bulb flowers, I've always wanted a yard full of them, and it will be totally worth it come spring. I'm really unmotivated to go out and put them in the ground right now, though...

And speaking of other changes, we're switching internet providers on Monday, we switched life insurance companies today (a three hour process with our agent--bleargh!!), I just switched health insurance policies last week, and we've decided to switch dentists. I'm hoping all of that will be for the better....I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Not to mention just all the regular stuff I have going on this month--I seem to be so busy these days! School, gymnastics, homework, Pilates, walks, errands, jewelry stuff, cleaning, cooking, potty training, etc. At some point I'm going to have to make a couple elaborate Halloween costumes, too--in all my "spare time".

If any of you have some extra motivation, send it my way!

PS. Here's a cool picture I took today of a jumping spider eating a fly in my back yard. Just thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I feel your pain, Melissa!! But having just moved every single bit of furniture in our house to paint/recarpet/overall renovate the house, it is SOOO worth it! The resulting cleanliness is so loverly, and will last exactly 2.2 seconds. But such wonderful second they are . . . !