Wednesday, July 11, 2012

California Salad

I have a lot of posts I want to do, but I have NO TIME. Ugh. So once I dig my house out of the stye, get my errands run, packages mailed, finish some projects and find my mail key/alarm clock/garage door opener (thanks for hiding them, Luke), I'll be posting up a storm.

In the meantime, I made this gorgeous yummy salad last night for a church function and it was sooo good that I thought I'd share. I don't know why I call it a California salad--it really should be called a Cedar City salad since that's where I made it. But for some reason Cedar City didn't spring to mind with the avocados, feta and cranberries. Whatever. Just make it sometime.

California Salad
by Melissa Yoder

5 oz. package baby spinach
10 oz. package grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
4 oz. package crumbled feta cheese
1 cup Craisins
3/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
4 scallions (green onions), chopped
1 avocado, diced

In a dry skillet, toast walnuts over medium heat until fragrant and golden brown. Set aside to cool (you can stick them in the fridge or freezer to speed up the process).

Combine spinach, tomatoes, Craisins, scallions and walnuts in a large bowl. Gently toss in feta and avocado until evenly distributed. Serve with poppyseed, Italian or raspberry pecan salad dressing. Serves 8.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds yummy!!

Emalia said...

Oooo yum. I needed a good new spinach salad recipe so we are going to try this tomorrow night! Thanks!! Hey, how far from St. George are you? The girls in my family are taking a girl's trip to St. George for the weekend--Sept. 13th-16th & going to see Aladdin at Tuacahn--did you want to come to Tuacahn or have you already seen it? I thought of you since it's been forever since we've seen each other. I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see you!

Kathryn M. said...

I could eat salad every night for dinner in the summer. Sadly my family doesn't feel the same. My fav is a variation of this with grilled chicken and fresh strawberries. Sheila has the best recipe for sugared pecans to top it off with. Mmmm. I'm getting hungry!