Did it work?......
Well, I had some clothes that I'd tried to clean multiple times with my usual arsenal of Fels Naptha, straight liquid detergent and Oxi Clean but the stains hadn't budged. I squirted some of this soap/peroxide stuff on, let it sit for a few hours, and washed them as usual. The stains disappeared!!!* WHOAAAAA
A blogger on Modern Day Moms had blogged about how she'd used the solution to clean an upholstered chair. Cue our off white glider & ottoman in Luke's room, which we bought nearly eight years ago:
This chair has been embarrassingly grody for quite a while now. (That big blue spot at the bottom is my shadow, not a stain, btw.) I'd even called Stanley Steemers a few months ago to ask about getting it professionally cleaned. They'd do it for $100-$120. Gaak.
So I went to town with my new spray bottle of miracle cleaner on the chair, scrubbed it in and let it sit for a while and then worked on some stains on my white shag carpet in the living room. (Why do I keep buying white things?? Good question.) As I was working on the rug, I realized that this stuff has to be rinsed out, despite what they'd said on Modern Day Moms. Huh.
NOW what was I gonna do?!
Well, I stuck the whole ottoman in my tub, turned on the shower and let it rinse for 5-10 minutes, then squeezed out the water.. The cushions and arm rests were just snapped or tied onto the frame of the chair, so I just shoved them into my front loader washing machine (in two separate loads) and ran them through a cycle. The seat didn't dry very well in the dryer, so I stuck it in to the tub to finish drying.
But then it had water stains when it dried! Uuuughhhhhhh our hard water is the worst.
So I sprayed it again with the miracle cleaner, crammed it back in the washer for a rinse/spin cycle, dried it in the dryer and it was fine. (Are you beginning to think that I might as well have spent the $100 bucks?? Me too. Haha.)
I wiped down the frame of the chair, waited till everything was completely dry, and reassembled it.
And voilà!!!! My chair is cleaner than it's been in years! It looks brand new!
Now all I need to do is keep Mr. Chocolate Fudge Pop Tart Who Wipes His Hands On Everything away from it. At least until I buy some Scotch Gard.
* A couple of shirts I treated with the miracle cleaner ended up with spots on the fabric that were bleached out, but I'm pretty sure it was because I accidentally splashed bleach on them when I was preparing a load of sheets to wash, not because of the peroxide in the cleaning solution. I thought I'd throw a disclaimer out there anyway. If you don't want to trust my clumsiness, then just pre-treat your clothes right before laundering.


9 comments:
I am glad it worked out so well! I am getting the ingredients next time I head to the store! The rocker looks AMAZING!
Dude...are you serious!?! I have everything I need to make this, ROCK ON!!! I am so doing this. Thank you for sharing!!!
I love the sparkle stars you added to the after picture - yay for saving the bucks!
Question: does it have to be blue dawn, and if som why? I saw this a few weeks ago and got peroxide, but I don't have blue dawn. I'm contemplating trying other soap sto see what happens.
I think another type of soap would work, something strong like concentrated Palmolive...but some people swear that it has to be blue Dawn. Apparently it has magical qualities that even other types of Dawn does not possess. Who knows!
Sweet! I've got girls camp this week so I'll have to give it a try on all the clothes I bring home. Lol
I tried the mix of hydrogen peroxide, dawn, and baking soda with a scrub brush for the pit stains on my shirts and it was amazing!!!!! I didn't even have to scrub that hard! Washed them after and they were like new. What would I do without pinterest...
Brilliant! Thank you! I have a few things in mind I want to try it on.
I've also heard that Blue Dawn mixed with cleaning strength vinegar works wonders for cleaning the tub! Gotta try that!
Post a Comment