Saturday, April 28, 2012

"He's completely insane and a bit magnificent"

This should really come as no big surprise.

We have a little Doctor Who addict on our hands. (Cue theme music) Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun DUN DUN DUN dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun ooooWEEEEOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ever since I joined Pinterest, I noticed that the Geek board was rife with Doctor Who references, especially about the "10th Doctor". I knew that Mark and his brother James had watched the show as kids. It's been around since 1963 and is the world's longest running sci-fi TV series. (By the BBC, of course. We all know they put out the best shows.)


 "The Doctor" is a 900-year old Time Lord from an alien planet and he has 12 regenerations. The show actually went off the air for ten years after the 8th Doctor, and then came back in 2005 with the 9th. He and his time machine, the TARDIS (which looks like a 1960's police box from London), go on adventures all over the galaxy and different human "companions" travel with him. I put the show (6 seasons of it, starting with the 9th Doctor) in my queue in Netflix a while ago out of curiosity, and last Sunday we started watching it. We are HOOKED! Luke comes running when he hears the theme song. :)

 The 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and Rose Tyler (Billie Piper). After the first season, to avoid death, he regenerates and turns into this guy:

David Tennant! Remember him as Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? Love him. He wanted to become an actor at age three or four because of his love of Doctor Who! He starts out with Rose in Season 2 but has several companions throughout.

The 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) is the current one, with shows on PBS (KUED 7) at 11:00 pm Saturday nights.

Anyway, it's just cracking me up at how much Madelyn loves it. She gets home from school, gets two feet inside the door and announces, "I want to watch Doctor Who!!" and when any of her little girlfriends come over, she wants them to watch it with her. She says, "It's this time machine alien show!"

She loves the aliens. The show is PG, but it's just bizarre and weird and zany enough to be right up her alley. Her friends don't quite get it, I'm afraid.

Last night, I was at Walmart last getting groceries and got a phone call from Mark. I answered, and it was Madelyn, who had just finished episode one of Season 2. "MOM! Have you seen episode two yet?! You get to see Bad Wolf! It has a great big face!" Me: "I thought Rose was Bad Wolf. Do you mean the Face of Boe?" etc..... I'm sure people were giving me weird stares.



Is anyone else out there a Whovian?? Who is your favorite Doctor? 

2 comments:

Megan said...

So I just happened to be watching Doctor Who as I read this! Then the theme music started playing from your blog, and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. But yes, I'm addicted!

The Yoder's Five said...

I knew you'd be the type to love this show, Meg!!