Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cali trip part 3: IKEA, G-ma's house and oranges galore

 Last Friday, after Disneypalooza the day before (congrats if you made it through that post, btw!) we were ready for a low key day. And there's nothing more low key than sitting in LA traffic, right?? Ha.

 There's an IKEA in Burbank, which is pretty close to my G-ma's house, so we decided to go there after checking out of our hotel in Anaheim. It was only 37 miles away, but it took us an HOUR and a HALF to get there. (G-ma said that was actually making good time, and that made me want to vomit...) But we eventually arrived and I fiiinnaalllyy got to shop at this glorious place. First ever visit!

I made sure to take pictures of my wish list items for future reference. We are in the market for some bookcases and dining room furniture. And couches....etc. etc. etc. We have an IKEA in Draper, UT but it's still three hours away. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and pay for shipping. There was so much cute stuff!!

The kids were super antsy and hungry and Madelyn had a HUGE meltdown when she found out there was a kid's play area we could have dropped her off at in the front of the store but we refused to take her (because Luke couldn't have stayed there and then HE would have had a huge meltdown...). It would have been a lot more fun shopping there without the munchkins, but oh well. We ended up buying that abacus and circus tent. :)

We didn't get to my G-ma Murset's house till around 3:00 pm (4:00 pm Utah time, and aside from snacks in the car we hadn't eaten since breakfast, and Luke hadn't napped, so no wonder the kids were cranky). The first thing I noticed when we stepped out of the car was this wonderful smell. I thought it was gardenias, but it was this:

 ORANGE BLOSSOMS!!!!!

That's it. We're moving to California. I'm sick of this dumb Utah weather!! (It's snowing right now as I type.)

We had a nice lunch/supper provided by G-ma (fresh fruit salad, chicken noodle soup and bread pudding), I put Luke down for a nap, and then we just lolled outside in the sunshine. It was awesome.

 Mark and Madelyn hid plastic Easter eggs in the back yard that we had brought along with us

 I just love G-ma's backyard! It's a magical place.

 G-ma had Mark do a few things around the house that she couldn't do herself, and had him plant some poinsettia plants. See that red flowering bush behind Mark? That's a poinsettia. I didn't know they got that big! Mark didn't know you could plant them in the ground at all, haha.

  Luke got up and frolicked around outside with Madelyn

 G-ma (who's a 94 year old widow who lives by herself) told us about how she was robbed just a few days earlier during General Conference. A guy who claimed to be the son of her tree trimmer came to her door and asked her to come around back to talk about a neighbor's tree he said he was going to cut down that might fall into her yard, and while he was talking, three black guys got out of an unmarked Mercedes SUV, went into her house and dumped her entire jewelry drawer into one of her pillowcases and took all the cash from her purse! Can you believe that?!!?! People make me sick. Some of her neighbors saw and started approaching the house, so they hurried and left, but they didn't call the police and G-ma didn't realize they'd taken anything till a day or two afterward. (Then she called the police.)

 
 My cousin Autumn's son Carsen (age 8) wrote this note and sent it to G-ma: "Dear G'ma, I am so sorry that you got robed! :( And I will give you money from the bank. Love Carsen." Is that not the sweetest thing?! We're just glad that she's OK.

 G-ma had Mark pick some oranges (that are actually from her neighbor's tree, but they let us help ourselves)

These are the best oranges in the entire world. They are juicing oranges, but I just eat them like a normal orange. I am still enjoying some here at home (the snow is reaching about 3 inches now....).

Luke started saying a new phrase while we were on this trip. He kept saying what sounded like, "No rocket" all the time while we were in line at Disneyland, and I finally figured out that he was saying, "No like it." He "no like" most of the food we ate, so he subsisted a lot on Wheat Thins and Cheez Its...

 Break dancing in the kitchen...

 Madelyn dyed some Easter eggs that evening. The newspaper I put down on the table announced that Justin Beiber had just bought a $6M mansion in the valley. Thank goodness my daughter hasn't really discovered him yet...

 Luke kept letting himself out the back door, which was a little alarming.

 Around 8:00 pm that night, Mark and Luke and I decided to head to Ross, which is somewhere we have to go every time we go to G-ma's. It's only a block and a half away!

 Not that it's any nicer than your usual Ross, but it's two stories and has WAY better stuff, seeing as stores on the coast get first dibs on the merchandise that comes through.

 I really wished we had room to bring one of these big, hamper sized sea grass baskets home with us.

(cell phone pic I sent to Maria) I ended up with this cute maxi dress and mustard yellow sandals along with *ahem* QUITE a few other things. Well, it just wouldn't be a Cali vacation without some shopping! :D

1 comment:

Kathryn M. said...

That is horrible about your grandma! I hope the robbers feel guilty for taking advantage of an old woman, they probably don't!
Ikea, (sigh) our closest one is by DC. I love it so much I would probably name our next child Ikea if we were to ever have one. Ours has a restaurant and awesome swedish grocery store. I always try to get Emil to lunch there because it's so cheap!
Keep me updated on any buys!