Sunday, February 26, 2012

America needs to take note

Do you know what is lacking in America??? Good drama TV, that's what. Why are we stuck with STUPID reality TV (I never thought the fad would have lasted this long) while the British Commonwealth churns out Masterpiece Theatre material?! Maybe I'm just too snooty. But seriously, though!

Granted, we have been blessed with comedies like Seinfeld, Scrubs and The Big Bang Theory, which are genuinely funny and their writing always seems fresh. I will probably be 90 years old and still watching those reruns.

But raise your hand if you're a fan of these two new Masterpiece series:

Just.....swoon.....

We just finished the Season 2 finale last Sunday of Emmy Award winning Downton Abbey, which has been airing on Masterpiece Classic on PBS the past couple of months. And now we have to wait and wait and wait until they film Season 3 so we can find out what happens next!! It's turn of the century English drama with the intrigues of rich country aristocrats and the intrigues of the poor working class who serve them in one show. The whole ensemble is top notch, and the sets and costumes are gorgeous. That's "Matthew" and "Mary" in the picture above. Their chemistry alone is worth tuning in for. 

Season 1 is available on Netflix, and both seasons are available to watch online here at pbs.org (but full episodes will only be available there for 8 more days!!). Even Mark really got into this series. It's not quite as girlified as Jane Austen stuff is, but it's in the same spirit. Excellent.



Sherlock is BBC series (running as part of Masterpiece Mystery on PBS)  that's a re-imagining of classic Sherlock Holmes stories, set in modern London. There's only been three episodes thus far, but each one is movie length, and they're fantastic. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock, who is as cocky and brainy and socially inept as ever, and Martin Freeman is his loveable, long suffering doctor sidekick. They make a great pair. You can watch online here on pbs.org as well. New episodes will air in May! (I think you can already find Season 2 videos floating around online.)

And SPEAKING OF MARTIN FREEMAN!

I can't believe I have not mentioned this yet on the blog. (You probably already are as hyped as I am.......or maybe not.......depends on your personal geek quotient.)

 The Hobbit!!!!!!!

Freeman is starring as Bilbo Baggins in Part I of the adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit--my favorite book ever. An Unexpected Journey comes out on December 14th (who wants to come to the midnight showing!?!), and Mark and I are counting down the days. Peter Jackson is directing again and Sir Ian McKellan (Gandalf) and some of the old gang from The Lord of the Rings will be back, too. Oh, and Benedict Cumberbatch (a.k.a. Sherlock, who I just mentioned) is doing the voice of Smaug! How awesome is that?! Feed your curiosity with this blog with updates on the filming of the movie. :D

The Hobbit was written before The Lord of the Rings and is actually geared more towards children, so it's lighter and funnier but is a heck of an adventure story. Love it, love it, love it.

Check out this trailer and tell me if it does not get you excited for this movie:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Saw all three Sherlock Holmes episodes within 2 days (I believe). LOVED THEM! We are super excited for the second season to come out. Hopefully they post them online for our viewing as we don't pay for tv.

I saw the first episode of Downtown Abbey. I've heard a few people rave about it, so perhaps I should give it another go. I suppose I wasn't really pulled in with the first episode.

HOBBIT!!! The only movie I'm really looking forward to this year. Well, I'm looking forward to Hunger Games, but not nearly as much as The Hobbit. Gives me the goosebumps.

Jen said...

I love Downton Abbey. It has saved laundry day for me lately.

Kathryn M. said...

Downton Abbey was awesome! So sad we have to wait another year to see more!
I'm totally with you on the reality TV. Jersey Shore? I've only seen snippets about it on yahoo and it makes me embarrassed to be on the same coast as them. (Sigh) A little further south and they'd be so much more reasonable.