We meandered around for a while trying to find it downtown. Yep, that's a Porche Turbo and a Mercedes side by side. We're not in Utah anymore! I think this might have been part of Koreatown.
Chinatown has regular businesses (this is a bank), but we were looking for the Old Chinatown Plaza.
This is it!
2012 is the Year of the Dragon. I was born in the year of the Rooster. Glamorous, right?? Mark was born in the Year of the Horse, Madelyn the year of the Monkey (which actually fits her) and Luke the Year of the Ox. Find out your Chinese Zodiac sign here!
I love the lanterns!
We had lunch at a Chinese restaurant (duh). Madelyn really wanted to try the tea, which tasted like dried leaves...(duh).
The Old Chinatown Plaza is really just a tourist trap with shops full of trinkets, but it was FUN! Madelyn is so proud to be 1/8th Chinese. She was thrilled to be there. We might not ever get to visit the real place, so this will hopefully do for now.
Look at the expression on that dude's face, hahaha
Huge, creepy awesome masks
This shop had the coolest silk screens and robes. Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time to spend looking around in all the shops, because Madelyn suddenly needed a bathroom and we couldn't find one so we had to leave. I'd like to go back! Mark was in the market for a gong (which turned out to be $$$) but settled for some chi balls, and we got lots of super cheap trinkets and souvenirs. It was refreshing to have such low prices after having paid out the nose for everything at Disneyland!
Madelyn's favorite purchases were this deep blue silky dress covered in butterflies, and these jeweled hair combs. We also got some freshwater pearl earrings for G-ma Murset, since her favorite ones were stolen the week before. I'm sure we'll be back for more next time!
3 comments:
The earrings gma wears everyday?? Those pearl ones? Lol! A gong.. I don't know why that's so funny. Chinatown looks cool! Maybe we'll take a visit if/when we go this year. Haha, did you get that hat?
Yeah, G-ma's big pearl earrings that she usually wore every day were stolen. I've never seen her without them but apparently she had taken them out to get her hair colored. :/
No I didn't get that hat, although I probably should have with all the yard work I need to do...
Huh, I've never been to Chinatown either. I guess after seeing Big Trouble in Little China it seemed....creepy? Hehe.
Man, you guys had a really good time. Mark...wanted a gong? That sounds like such a Yoder boy thing to want.
Cute hat by the way. :)
Post a Comment