Anyway, the sewing has continued...I have enough sewing projects to keep me busy for months yet! (Sorry, husband and kids..) First, I made four more rice bags, because I had forgotten a few people I wanted to give them to for Christmas. I ALWAYS seem to forget someone.
The first three were made with fat quarters I got at Jo-Ann's, and the one on the end was from fabric I got at Walmart.
I really hope I am done with these now. 28 was a bit much.
When Madelyn switched to a toddler bed when she was 2 1/2, I got her a teeny little pillow and made her these pillowcases:
She took her little pillow to school last Friday for a Dr. Seuss read-a-thon because it fit in her backpack, but she (claims) she is too big for princesses now, so I made her some new pillowcases for it.
Polka dot fabric was a remnant at Jo-Ann's and I think that's where the owl fabric was from also, but it was years ago. CUTE, huh!
I'd been meaning to get Luke his own pillow, since he's been in a toddler bed for 6 months, but he still sleeps like a little stinkbug:
So I doubt he will actually use it for sleeping. Well, he got a pillow anyway, and I made him these three pillowcases:
Alphabet and pirate fabric from Walmart--dinosaur fabric was a remnant from Jo-Ann's. I stalk the remnant bins every time I go to either store, which is why I end up with so many small pieces/small projects. Just the way I like it!!
It was satisfying having a project that #1 I did not need a pattern for, #2 was hard to mess up, and #3 was really quick and easy.
These pillow forms are marketed as "travel size" and usually measure 12x16 inches (I got Luke's at Jo-Ann's but Walmart sometimes has them). To make a pillowcase, you'll need a piece of material about 14x40 inches or so.
Fold the piece of fabric in half, and then eyeball your measurements either using the pillow as a guide or an old pillowcase:
(I cut this one a little too short, but you get the idea.)
In this picture, I'm using the finished dinosaur pillowcase edge to determine where to cut my pirate fabric with my fabric ruler and rotary cutter. I add 1/2 inch on the sides for seam allowances, and about 2 1/2 inches on the top.
On either end, press down first 1/2 inch, then again 2 to 2 1/2 inches to form what will be the finished opening of the pillowcase, and then stitch across each side.
Now I have a long, narrow piece with both ends finished.
Putting right sides together, fold it in half and stitch along both sides.
Yay for easy projects!! You can churn one of these babies out in about 10 minutes. And obviously you can use this method to make a pillowcase to fit whatever size pillows you want.
Perfect for pint sized naps, movies, read-a-thons or a trip to grandma's! :)









3 comments:
CUUUUTE! Man, you have such cute fabric! Love those little pillows...they'd be great for car trips, too! Thanks for the tutorial, Melissa!
These are all adorable! I'm really going to need to make a rice bag...I could use one with all of my sore muscles right now. I agree the little pillows would be great for car trips!
Sewing makes my head hurt . . . I wish I could just sit and sew like you do!
PS - let's get together soon!
Post a Comment