Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Long live the geeks!

I've let my geek flag fly before--so no surprise there. In fact, my new favorite pastime after the kids have gone to bed is to check out the latest Geek pins on Pinterest. (Go to the "Everything" tab at the top of the page, hover over it and then click on "Geek".) I'll be over in the corner laughing and snorting and Mark will look over at me like I'm nuts. The pins are even better when you're super tired because then everything is funnier.

Anyway, I've made some freezer paper stenciled shirts that have yet to make it to the ol' bloggeroo.

 This one isn't really geeky, but I made it for my nephew Nathan, who is super into military stuff. This Air Force shirt was part of his birthday present last August.

  
 I made this for Mark after he saw the design on the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Looking back, I should have made the skull bigger and centered it higher. Live and learn! Also, when you're using light paint on a dark background, you have to use about a zillion coats.

 A Star Wars AT-AT

A Canadian maple leaf, Harry Potter glasses and lightning scar and Star Trek insignia on little onesies for my nephew Jack (whose dad served a mission in Canada, mom is a Potterphile, and they are both Trekkies).

and an X-Men onesie for my great-nephew Logan
 (who was named for Logan, aka Wolverine, on X-Men)

 Then I had the Awesome Idea to send my bestie Nadia and her family an Avatar themed Christmas package. I got some help with some well chosen etsy purchases:

A clay Appa head/cell phone charm/keychain!!!

 Avatar quote buttons! (I have some of these for myself) They make absolutely no sense unless you've seen all the episodes.

If you haven't watched this, it's a Nickelodeon series that originally aired from 2005-2008, but is available on Netflix through online streaming. Not to be confused with the live action movie by M. Night Shyamalan, which was supposed to be the same story but was complete rubbish.

source
 We have watched the whole series several times and decided to watch it again over Christmas break. Over 24 hours of Avatar goodness!! Best animated series E V E R.

 Anyhoo, I decided to use the symbols from Avatar to make some geeky t-shirts for Nadia, Jeremy, Beckham and Ravi.


 
 Green: earth, blue: Water, black: Air, red: Fire (more or less the Avatar colors, except Air probably should have been white and silver)

 Then Nadia sent me this picture of them wearing their shirts and bending, which TOTALLY made my day:

 (sorry Nadia, I just had to share...it was just so stinking awesome)

That's the view of the Phillipine Sea from their balcony in Saipan, where Jeremy is the only psychiatrist on the whole island. We miss those guys! Glad someone's having fun in the sun, though. And fighting crime with the power of the four elements!

*ahem*

And now I want to make some more. That's the problem with these freezer paper stencils. You start getting so many ideas you don't know if there will ever be enough t-shirts to fulfill your desires.

 One last thing....just had to show this Diablo II poster Mark's brother Paul manipulated so that the faces of his friends were in it. That's Paul being choked by the demon, and that's Mark lying on the floor bleeding. Look closely--it's him! I took a picture of him writhing on the kitchen floor and Paul cropped in his head. The talent that runs in this family..........

7 comments:

Amy said...

Very cool! we love Avatar too. It was a fun series to watch. We might have to make some Shirts ourselves...

Maria Nielson said...

Hmmm... I haven't seen any of those things, haha. Besides a few episodes of Star Trek.. I want to make some stenciled t's! Maybe I'll make Em some..

Megan said...

I am sooooooooooooo jealous of all the Avatar stuff! I might have to get crafty and make myself some.

Rachelle said...

Love, love, love the HP onesie. Never seen the airbenders, so I can't geek out with you over those, but the glasses/scar are awesome!

Natalie said...

Oh mercy, Melissa!!! Those are too freaking awesome! And your geek pins are seriously my favorite!

Unknown said...

Ooooooh man. This post just totally made my night. Let the geekiness come forth!

Love Star Trek.

Love Avatar.

Just, love it all.

I love the onesies idea!! Now that I've seen the awesome stuff you've made, there is no way to keep me from attempting.

BTW, that barbarian hat you gave us is soooo adorable. I can't even believe it. Not sure how you find this stuff!

Nadia said...

And we LOVE our shirts and buttons and Appa head! I don't know how many days in a row Ravi has worn his! We never mind being high lighted on your blog...makes me feel like a super star. :)