Ah! Here we are looking hot (in more ways than one....baha) in our peach and black Paquita costumes that Annie's mom made. We were 17. She's the girl on my right. Also pictured are Ashley Graff, Summer Ballard and Katherine Dixon. I miss ballet!
She and Summer and I danced and carpooled together for a good 10 years. They are awesome girls.
Anyhoo, here's Annie's newest baby, her third, named Liesl Cosette Gubler. Isn't she a beaut?
Look at those cheeks! What a sweetie.
I'd told Madelyn we could stop by the St. George Temple grounds before we went home. Luke fell asleep, so Mark stayed with him in the car while we had a look around. She wanted to see everything.
The stairs had to be climbed two or three times, of course.
The front (east) end
Madelyn and her favorite new pair of shoes she got for Christmas. Fancy!
That girl and her sass... Two seasons of America's Next Top Model (like 2-3 years ago), and this is what happens!
Presh!
She wanted to see how the temple was built, so we went into one of the visitors' centers to check it out. There's the 1,000lb cannon that was used as a pile driver to compact lava rock into the swampy soil where the temple was built.
The architect Truman Angell originally designed the tower to have a steeple. (That looks so weird to me.) Brigham Young told him he wanted it to have an octagonal dome instead.
The building was constructed with local red sandstone
Then the whole thing was plastered from the top down with ground gypsum and hot lye. They built the octagonal dome, but made it too short for Brigham Young's liking, but in order to stay on schedule, they kept it that way.
Piece of gypsum they gave to Madelyn to keep. She said she'd look at it "to remember Jesus."
Brigham Young died four months after he dedicated the temple in 1877. Exactly one year after he died, lightning hit the tower and burned it. It had to be rebuilt, and that time they made it taller, like Brigham had wanted. It is the oldest operating temple that the church uses today.
St. George in the late 1800's. Now the temple is pretty much in the center of town.
In the main visitor's center

7 comments:
Ahh, I love st. george too. Just seeing those pictures makes me feel 20 degrees warmer!
It does look so warm and I wish we were there! I think the flag was at half mast for the police officer killed here in Ogden - so sad.
Beautiful pics of the temple. (Anna has those same shoes in black - she loves them too!)
You and Madelyn are definitely "presh" together. It's been a while since I've been to the visitors center. I don't even remember that model depicting St. George in the 1800's. Guess I went to certain parts of the visitors center and must have missed that somehow.
Love the ballet picture. Looks like you and your gals had such a good time.
And last, but not least, BABY!! I just love seeing all these new little newborns. It just warms the heartstrings. :)
The temple construction info is in the small separate building off to the side of the main visitor's center...
The one of you and Madelyn is so cute!
Aw. The good ol ballet days. I miss them so much. I love the st. George temple. When adam worked there he got to go up to the place where they keep the original ball. It's split right in half from the lightening.
Post a Comment