If you are cake decorating challenged like me, here's an easy way to still have something fun and colorful at your kid's birthday party (without spending $40 on a bakery cake...).
Duncan Hines has these nifty little "snack size" boxes of cake mix that make exactly 12 cupcakes. This is genius. I didn't want or need 2 dozen...all I needed was enough for 7-8 kids for Madelyn's party. Duncan Hines makes good cake, too. It's the brand I usually buy.
So you just mix it up per package directions, then separate the batter into several bowls (depends on how many colors you want to incorporate)
Add 10 drops food coloring to each bowl and blend thoroughly
Plop a spoonful of each color into baking cups. Know what this reminds me of? That food fight scene in Hook. Anyone remember that??... Okay.....
Bake according to package directions. The tops turn golden so it alters the color a little bit. But no worries...
Separate a can of your favorite frosting (I used Pillsbury Whipped Supreme in "Fluffy White") and add another 10 drops of food coloring to each bowl.
And you'll have something as happy and colorful as your birthday girl!
(P.S. I want to marry that color of pink frosting. I freaking love it.)
2 comments:
Those are the cutest cupcakes ever!! I'm glad you posted this, cuz I've always wondered how to make them. I didn't know about the snack size cake mixes either! Sheesh, I learn so much from you ;)
I totally remember that scene in Hook. Cute cupcakes!
Post a Comment