Monday, December 19, 2011

The Nutcracker

 
*updated pictures

Madelyn and I drove down to St. George on Saturday for a matinee performance of The Nutcracker by the St. George Ballet Company. Both my parents and my baby (16-year old) sister Megan were in it, and have been for several years. Here's some pics, courtesy of my dad:

Mom and Dad as "Party Parents" from Act I. It's always a little weird seeing your dad wearing lipstick and mascara. But he looks great in a top hat! :)

Meg in Waltz of the Snowflakes

...and in Arabian 

 ...and in Marzipan

 My mom was "Mother Hubbard" aka "Mother Ginger" this year

...Meg in Waltz of the Flowers

 This year she was the SOLOIST (aka The Dew Drop Fairy) in that dance:

 

She was so stinking good. Me and my sisters were freaking out in the audience every time she was on stage.  I was so jealous because I never got to dance in a proper Nutcracker production. I did the Chinese and Marzipan variations, and the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy, but that was it.

The whole production was fabulous, and I cried at the end of Act I like I always do, partly because the music for the pas de deux of the Snow Queen and King is so beautiful, and also because I was so glad Act I was over. (If you've seen the ballet, you'll know what I mean...)

  
Meg and her entourage after the show

My mom got us tickets to "Clara's Party" on the stage, so we got to go see the sets and the dancers, etc.

Clara and the Mouse King

Mechanical Bear and Toy Doll

Here's Mother Hubbard again!  (The Old Lady who lives in a shoe...) She was hilarious. Look at that bonnet!

My nephew Nathan and Madelyn sliding down the big shoe

Megan's Dew Drop Fairy tutu

Sigh.....I miss dancing

Then the kids got to color a Nutcracker magnet

Little Miss Madelyn decided she MUST have a nutcracker of her own now. I wouldn't buy her one at the gift shop ($$) but then we went looking at two different stores afterward and she couldn't find one she liked. So she is now trusting in Santa to bring her one. Santa? Did you hear that?? We'll be needing one large nutcracker doll under the tree come Sunday!! Better get to work on that!!

4 comments:

Maria Nielson said...

Actually, I have been in Westside's Nutcracker I think 3 times now. Ha! But when I was with Gretchen, we did knock off Nutcracker performances.. Chinese, haha.. Go Meg, mom, and dad!

a.k.a. Jack said...

This is awesome! I didn't know both your parents did ballet. So cool!

The Yoder's Five said...

Well, they don't do ballet....just waltzing and stuff. Still! My dad's such a good sport. My mom loves performing.

Jen said...

Your family are all so talented and beautiful. Thanks for the yummy treats and special delivery!