Back during the holidays in 2006, I got the extremely ambitious desire to make Madelyn a set of custom alphabet blocks. We were only weeks away from our big move to Albuquerque, so of course crafting was my #1 priority....
Here's what I actually ended up making: TWO full sets of alphabet blocks (the other set went to my nephew Nathan, I think), canvas bags to hold them in, a set of Christmas blocks that spelled "Noel" and a name plaque for my friend Liz Jowers. I can't believe this is the only picture I have from back then.
The blocks were made with maple planks we got at Home Depot...Mark took them up to his parent's house and used their power equipment to cut and sand all the pieces.
Then I painted each block with two or three coats of tole paint on all sides, let them dry for a few days, stuck large alphabet and number stickers on them that I got at Robert's (this was before the days of everybody and their dog having their own vinyl and Cricuts/Silhouettes), and then sealed everything with a few coats of Mod Podge. It took forever...
Then I stitched up a canvas bag for each set with a decorative panel and a tie attached at the top.
Luke calls all the blocks "A". At least he knows the general category!
Madelyn made a path with them the other day...
I think they're pretty fabulous!
I might have to see if I can get a better photograph of the other set I made....I'll keep you posted.
5 comments:
We were lucky enough to get the other set....which the kids LOVE! They are fabulous!
Those are SOOOO cute, Melissa! What a great idea!
My plaque is still hanging in my house :). Love it!
You could also make fabulous ransome notes with them should you ever kidnap someone.
Haha, mom...! I want some!! Maybe I'll make some felt ones.. I remember when the kids got those from you. Presh! I want one of those cutter-outter machine things.
Post a Comment