Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kanarraville Falls

Last Saturday morning, Mark was getting ready to go to work when his brother David called and invited us to go on a hike with him, his family and their brother Paul that afternoon at 12:30 to Kanarraville Falls. He immediately said yes on behalf of him and Madelyn, but took a while for me to commit. Finally I decided that Luke and I should go too. We had to hurry and get ready while Mark was at the clinic, and then we all drove over there.

Kanarraville is a little town about 12 miles south of Cedar City, and I always admire it as we drive past on the freeway. It's very scenic and has some pretty ranches. At the base of the mountain, there's a trail head for the hike.

 It was uphill virtually the entire way....and hot

You cross an icy cold creek about halfway there, which the kids loved

Paul and David

Finally (after lots of whining on Madelyn's part) we reached the part of the hike where you're supposed to walk up the creek into a slot canyon and climb up some waterfalls, like this:

 image here

(random people) image here

Uh, huh. Like I'm taking my kids up that.

So, we stopped and the others walked on. I would have liked to have seen the awesome scenery, but the creek was freezing cold, swift and slippery and I didn't feel like having one of my children drown that day. Plus Mark was on call and needed to get back into cell phone range. Instead, the munchkins just got wet and chucked rocks into the creek for a while, and then changed into the dry clothes I'd hauled up for them in my water/snack/sunscreen/diaper bag.

  
 Can you see the whiptail lizard Madelyn found?

Back down...

We had to park about five blocks away from those cars you see down there, which felt like about another five miles. Our car was right in front of a playground, and apparently we hadn't worn out the kids enough because then they wanted to play for another half hour.

They had these giant, 12-feet high metal slides that reminded me of the ones we used to have in our city park growing up. Ah, small towns...

Mark would like me to mention that because I was snapping this picture instead of catching Luke, he went zooming past me and did a face plant in the dirt as he came off the slide. Don't worry......he was fine.........

See?? 


So we got home dirty and exhausted at about 4:30 and I am STILL SORE and bug bitten. It was nice spending some time together as a family though. We might go back to that playground again--it was pretty dang sweet!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Did they burn the backs of their legs on the metal slides? Yikes.

I have heard about this hike, and it scared me because people said it was pretty intense. Maybe one day we'll try it.

Maria Nielson said...

You went....on...a HIKE??!!! Haha ;) That's a fun hike!

Amy Shupe said...

What an awesome trail! How fun to cross the creek like that!

The Yoder's Five said...

Oh, shush, Maria. I love going on hikes....in Zion. Paved trails and shade and whatnot. Haha. It's hard with little kids!

The Yoder's Five said...

And Erin, the slides weren't that hot, but I sure remember them being scorching when I was a kid. It was only in the 80s on Saturday when we were there--not bad.

Summer Wilson said...

Beautiful mountains! Everything is harder with kids!

Amy said...

Fun! Dave and I are planning on hiking up to this waterfall over the 4th and now I know where my mom got the idea from. Also, now I know what to wear/bring since I was just told "we're hiking to a waterfall". It looks like swimsuit is in order, as well as water and snacks. It looks beautiful though!