Monday, May 16, 2011

Random McRandom

Last week was busy. Thursday, my brother Kevin, his wife Lori and their daughter Hattie came to scope out our new Aquatic Center. I hadn't been yet either. It was deluxe!

A big chunk of it is just for kids and toddlers and is very shallow, with padded floors under the water. It was empty because it was still during school hours (Madelyn gets done at noon, and we went at 1:00pm.)

There's also a hydrotube, a lap pool and a lazy river. I'm glad someone finally figured out that Cedar is too cold for an outdoor pool 3/4ths of the year...

I've never seen Luke have such a good time. He was in HEAVEN!

Kevin had so much fun he could barely function afterwards...

  
Hattie and Madelyn had a great time splashing and playing, until Madelyn tried to wade over to the lazy river by herself, got into some deep water and started floundering. We got to her at the same time as the lifeguard and she (Madelyn) was very upset for a while. Then we put a life jacket on her and she was fine.

Previous to this, I had to alter her swimsuits. She has a couple others that fit, but these were new ones I got last summer on clearance at Walmart and Target. They didn't fit well at all in the arms and legs because Madelyn's a skinny toothpick, so I had to take them in thusly:

Which took TWO HOURS of me sewing and muttering and cursing under my breath, and also resulted in:

...a broken serger, because apparently thick rubber elastic is not what it was made to sew. Who knew?! Now the alignment is off somewhere down in the bowels of the machine and the needles keep hitting on something. So it has to be serviced. Dang swimsuits.

Then on Friday, I had to clean up for company (i.e. put away my sewing junk), but not before churning out one last minute project:

  
I had some stray fabric rosettes I'd made and fashioned them into a raw edge headband for my sister Maria, whose birthday is next week.

By the way, has this happened to any of you? I about died when it looked like the fabric had been sprayed with bleach when I had just sprayed water on it for ironing. Eventually, the fabric dried back to its normal color, but in the meantime it looked like it was ruined. Sheesh.

Saturday, my old college buddy Ed Black and his wife DeAnn and their three cute kids swung by for a visit on their way to California. I hadn't seen him in 10 years and had never met his family. When I lived up at the U of U my freshman year, me and my roommate Vanessa hung out with him all the time. It was good to see him again. Luke was a crankypants the whole time because he should have been taking his nap, but overall it was a nice visit.

After that, Mark started work on building another gate for the side of the house so that Luke will quit wandering out to the driveway when we think he's playing in the back yard.

"Cement?!! I want in!!"

Luke's foot, Madelyn's hand

Madelyn's foot

  
Yesterday, Madelyn looked so pretty for church that I had her pose for a couple pictures. This is what she came up with. That girl should go into high fashion modeling ...

Then at 4:30 this morning, she threw up, and again at least three more times. Luke woke up at 5:30 and demanded to snuggle with me in my bed, and Mark had to get up and be with Madelyn. So she's home from school and I'm praying no one else gets it!!! She's already feeling better, but you never know...

Luke's taking what measures he can to remain germ-free. I think he may be on to something.

Have a happy Monday! I get to go start on throw-up laundry...

6 comments:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I have totally been to that swimming place :) I like their lazy river thing they have! haha FUN!

The Mursets said...

Hehe! I love Luke wearing the bucket and Madelyn's posing!

The headband looks amazing...I want one for my bday too!!! ;) It looks so cute on you- I hope you made one for yourself.

It was nice to chat today, and I hope Madelyn's bug is gone for good!

Erin said...

I'm pretty sure Madelyn WILL be a high fashion model when she grows up. Better start her on watching America's Next Top Model now... :)

Sorry about all the throw up. Is she starting to feel better yet?

Natalie said...

Hahah! Your kids totally crack me up! And I have TOTALLY had that happen to my fabric before! I was about to die because when we first got married I used to iron this lady from our ward's clothes. It was her pants that did the same thing. I was like, "CRAAAAAAAP!!!!". Love the goodies you made for Maria! So cute!

The Vakautakakala's said...

My whole day was spent on throw up laundry too!! (or should I say my whole previous week!!) Hopefully she gets feeling better soon!!

Katie said...

Hope she is feeling better!