1/22/10Have you seen the commercials??? Masterpiece Theatre Classics has made a new four hour version of Emma, to be broadcast on PBS for the next three Sundays!!!!!!!!!
Say what you like, I love Emma. As much as I worship Elinor Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility and Lizzie Bennet in Pride and Prejudice, out of all the Jane Austen heroines, Emma is the most free spirited, lighthearted and unrestrained, and therefore my favorite. (Want restrained? How about Fanny Price and Anne Elliot? Ugh!) I relate most to her, I guess. I had been wondering why there was not a new version of Emma when Masterpiece Theatre showed all the Jane Austen movies last year. Apparently, the screenwriter had been asked to do this back in 1995 or 1996, but that's when A&E came out with the Kate Beckinsale version and Miramax the Gwyneth Paltrow version. So the project was put off until now.
And while I wax rhapsodic on the subject, let me just give you my two cents about all three versions.
1996 Gwyneth Paltrow version:
YES!Are you already swooning at this picture? I chose my wedding dress to look like hers. No, I am not kidding.
As fluffy as this version may be, the costumes are gorgeous (nominated for a Best Costume Design Oscar), the scenery lush, and so is the soundtrack (won an Oscar for Best Musical Score). Emma's character is definitely pampered and privileged and she thinks she knows everything. (Come to think of it, that pretty much describes Gwyneth Paltrow...) But she comes across as well-intentioned and very endearing. I can't think of a better Mr. Knightley than Jeremy Northam. Those two had chemistry galore. PLUS, ♥♥♥♥♥ Ewan McGregor plays Frank Churchill, and bad wig notwithstanding in this movie, I love everything he does. This is among my top three favorite movies of all time.
The A&E Kate Beckinsale version:
I'm sorry, but I tried to watch this again the other day and I simply couldn't do it. Wild-eyed, gruff Mr. Knightley does nothing for me, and Emma comes across as a spoiled brat, plain and simple. I dunno...you purists out there might like it for one reason or another, but BLECH! I guess if you've read the novel, it's easy to see Emma's faults as a person, but in this portrayal, she just seemed sooo incredibly stuck on herself that whatever redeeming qualities she had got lost in the scuffle.
The 2009 BBC Romola Garai version:

I am expecting to enjoy this one. Who is that in the background, you say? It's the dreamy Blake Ritson, a.k.a. Edmund Bertram from Mansfield Park, playing Mr. Elton! Yes!! Oh yes. Not only that-- Sir Michael Gambon (a.k.a. Albus Dumbledore) is playing Mr. Woodhouse, the dude from Eli Stone (short lived TV series a year or two ago), Johnny Lee Miller, is playing Mr. Knightley and the gal they got to play Harriet Smith is actually pretty and innocent looking, as opposed to plain and vapid looking.
I heard they modernized things a bit, but like I said, if you want pure authenticity, go get yourself the dreary old A&E version. This movie is supposed to be fun.
So click on the link HERE to go to the Masterpiece Theatre Classics websites to check out all the goodness and see the schedule for the movie. Episode I isto be aired THIS SUNDAY (Jan 24th) at 8pm on PBS here in Utah (check your local listings). Unless I'm mistaken, it is 120 minutes, and then episodes II and III are 60 minutes each and will be on the following Sundays at the same time. Then the two Sundays after that, they're showing Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. Finally, something to look forward to in this boring stretch of winter!
PS. Feel free to give me your expert opinion about all this, or who your favorite Jane Austen heroine is.
10 comments:
I've never read Emma or seen the movies... but now I'm going to have to get out my complete works, find it and read it! Sounds interesting
Thanks for the heads up. We'll have to leave your house in time on Sunday in order for us to be able to watch them at home. I love the Gwyneth Paltrow version.
I'm so excited!! I reall liked the Gwyneth Paltrow version, but didn't realize there were any other versions out there. I love all the Masterpiece Theatre remakes and I'm super excited about this one. I may have to send Stephen home with the kids while I spend the evening at my parents' house so I can fully appreciate the genius :)
I can't wait! I had a hard time getting through the old version of Emma. I CAN'T WAIT!
Yay! Thanks for info, I've already set my DVR. :)
Curse not having television! Curse it a thousand times! This is the first genuine regret I have ever had not having any stream of tv.
I watched Emma on laundry day hundreds of times over a period of several years. The Paltrow/Northam one was, in my opinion, one of the best film renditions of an Austen novel ever.
I have loved the recent MT ones, and I will now stalk the DVD of this Emma.
The older BBC one you mentioned was tolerable to me, but not nearly as shining and golden as the visual perfection and clever editing of the version that made even laundry tolerable for me.
Oh! Oh! You can watch it online, too, starting January 25th with the first episode! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
i loved johnny lee miller in Mansfield Park so I am excited to see him do some more Jane Austen. Thanks for posting this-- I had no idea this was in the works.
yay! i need to get TV again someday. i'm excited they're reshowing northanger abbey, i really liked that one. the preview is so funny, "here we go ladies, i always carry an extra umbrella with me"...good grief, those umbrellas must have been huge back then, and he carries two of them just for fun? ;) can't wait to watch it.
I read your post on Monday so I missed the first showing! I'll have to DVR the other two. (I'll never remember them!) Thanks for the heads up. I love Jane Austen. Too bad I can't get Kirstin hooked. Ahh well, maybe it's something that comes with age!
Post a Comment