Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The desserts

Yummmmmmmmmmm

These aren't even remotely Mexican, but they ARE easy and delicious.


Cherry Tart
Adapted from Zoe Maes' recipe from the Albuquerque Stake Relief Society From Our Kitchens Cookbook (1980)

*The original recipe calls for nuts in the crust, but I thought they detracted from the otherwise fluffy texture. So I'm suggesting almond extract in place of actual almonds.

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 tsp. almond extract (optional)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 cans (21 oz.) cherry pie filling

Cut together flour, sugar and butter with a pastry blender to mix and cut butter into small pieces. Spread lightly in 13x9 baking dish. Bake at 400º F for 15-20 minutes. Crumble while warm and pat into pan; cool.

Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, almond extract and Cool Whip. Spread over cooled crust and spoon on cherry pie filling. Chill and serve. To halve, use 8x8 pan.


Miniature Lemon Cheesecake Tarts
adapted from Betty Crocker

This recipe involves a boxed mix, so there are no excuses not to try it! I think next time I will try this in a baking dish to make bars instead of little tarts.

1 package Betty Crocker (or whichever brand--I'm sure the results will be similar) Sunkist lemon bar mix
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1/3 cup water
powdered sugar, if desired
lemon or raspberry pie filling, if desired

Heat oven to 350ºF. Place miniature paper baking cup in each of 36 to 48 miniature muffin cups. Divide Ready-Mixed Crust (dry) evenly among muffin cups (1 to 2 teaspoons each); press in bottoms of cups, using back of measuring spoon. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until very light brown.

For smoothest filling, beat cream cheese and 2 eggs thoroughly in medium bowl, using electric beaters; stir in Filling Mix, water and remaining egg until smooth (a few tiny lumps may remain). Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full (about 1 tablespoon each) with cream cheese mixture.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until firm. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. For best flavor, refrigerate 2 hours before serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon pie filling. Store tightly covered in refrigerator up to 48 hours, or freeze tarts tightly wrapped in airtight container up to 4 months.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft.): For best results, use 48 miniature muffin cups. Bake 22 to 26 minutes. (Cedar City is high altitude.)

**If using the powdered sugar, just don't inhale as you're taking a bite. Right, Maria?? Ha, ha!

5 comments:

Bell Family Blog said...

Ew I am definitely trying the Cafe Rio Pork, Aaron loves anything Mexican food. It's his favorite! Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious and worth the wait.

Michelle said...

WOW! Everything looks delicious! Too bad I'm of sugar (I can't remember why right now . . .) :)

The Mursets said...

Mmmmm! EVERYONE TRY THE LEMON DELIGHTS!!!! They were sooo good. I too need to be reminded about inhaling the powdered sugar...HA!

So did you use separate lemon pie filling, or did one come with the box mix?

The Yoder's Five said...

I couldn't find lemon pie filling, and none came with the box mix, so I ended up using an envelope of lemon glaze mix I found in the baking aisle. I kinda liked them better without it, though.

Kathryn M. said...

How am I suppose to eat healthy with so many delish desserts waiting for me to try them? I got some super cute paper mini tart pans from King Arthur Flour for Christmas. (A wonderful site for baking) You can actually bake with them in the oven. I'll have to give the cherry tart a try in them for Valentines Day.