Monday, October 26, 2009

One month!

10/26/09

Yesterday, Luke turned one month old!! When Madelyn was a baby, I did a scrapbook page with her stats, a picture of me holding her, and a picture by her name sign for months 1-12. Here's what her first one looked like (you are not allowed to laugh at how dorky I look):

She was 6 lbs. 10 oz. and 19 1/2 inches long at one month, which is only 2 oz. and 1/2 inch bigger than Luke was when he was born. Yeah, my boy is a chunkster compared to her. Here he is:

A couple days ago, he weighed 8 lbs. 15 oz. (he's probably an even 9 lbs. now) and he's about 22 inches long. No wonder the newborn sized stuff is fitting so tight! That is about how big Madelyn was at two months. Anyway, here's a little more about my precious "Mister," as we call him:

Loves: eating, sleeping, his swing, cuddling, being sung to, having his hair washed, grunting
Hates: getting strapped into the car seat, waiting for food or a diaper change, getting dressed, being cold during a bath, hiccups, having his fingernails trimmed
Ambivalent about: his binky, being in the sling, diaper changes, being swaddled (he prefers to flail around, apparently), his sister's constant kisses and nuzzles
Skills: holding his head up, kicking his way out of a swaddle or pair of tiny socks, having a very small percentage of blow-out diapers (thank you!) compared to how his sister was

He is a good baby and will sleep for a blissful four hours at a stretch if he's in bed with me. However, I don't want that to become a habit, so I've started to put him in his room to sleep. He only sleeps for two to three hours in his crib, so I am feeling like a zombie these days. Gotta love it.

He is almost never fussy except for when he's working on a dirty diaper, in which case he'll wake up screaming bloody murder because he gets painful gas. That's partly because he drinks formula about half the time, which is harder to poop out (well, it's true) and he is a very sloppy eater. He is so impatient to eat that whether he's nursing or eating from a bottle, the scenario goes something like this:

(fussing for a couple minutes before he actually latches on)
CHUG CHUG CHUG *gasp*choke*cough*WAIL* (stop to pat his back)
*BURP*
Repeat half a dozen times

Sigh.

Madelyn is a very loving (as in "smotheringly affectionate") big sister and insists on coming in to wake us both up every morning so she can hold him.


As he's gotten older, I am noticing that Luke's eyes are a lot wider than they previously looked. (They are also a dark blue, which is weird but I know that will change.) Meaning he may have inherited MY eyes after all! HA! Take that, Mark!! Here's a look at Madelyn's distinctively Asian-shaped eyes next to Luke's:

He may still have Mark's nose, ears and ridiculously long torso, but I am now claiming his eyes, lips, and his pointy little chin. What a cute kid!

3 comments:

The Mursets said...

He looks so different every time I see him! He is so handsome & that first picture made us all ooohhh and aaahhhh.I can't believe it has already been a month!!!!

Carolina mama said...

I think you are right about the eyes. What adorable children and great photos.

Anonymous said...

Oh... He's so cute. I can't believe how babies change so much in just one month. Crazy. I love his owl printed onesie:)