Friday, July 10, 2009

The Joys of Pregnancy

7/10/09

Here's a quick update on my heart and whatnot: My OB called me a couple days ago with the results of my EKG readings I'd sent in every day for three weeks. It appears that I have intermittent tachycardia that should go away after I deliver, when my blood and plasma levels go back down. He told me my pulse was up to 150 beats per minute with some of the episodes I had. My heart beats so fast that it doesn't have time to fill up with blood all the way, so I don't get the oxygen I need. He called in a prescription of beta blockers for me to try, which slow the heart down and lower blood pressure.

The lovely result was that I just felt dizzy and lightheaded ALL the time instead of just a few minutes (or sometimes hours) here and there. The problem is that my blood pressure is already so low--it was 96/52 right before I took the pill--that lowering it further didn't help anything. Dr. Sanders is going to prescribe something else, so we'll see... I had vertigo with Madelyn, but it wasn't until the last month. Now I'm wondering if that was from the same heart thing going on. This time it's been bugging me since I was only three or four months along, though.

Some other things that I'm hoping will go away after delivery:

*the oh so delightful leg cramps in the middle of the night
*having to pee constantly
*the insatiable craving for carbs
*those Omega-3 supplements and their "fish burps"
*the crazy nesting instinct that's led me to go through all our stuff and spend 10 hours in the garage yesterday neatly labeling everything
*the mood swings and sudden tendency to worry over everything
*the ability to smell the tiniest odor molecule
*getting poked with needles for routine bloodwork, Rhogam shots, and getting tests per the whims of my doctor
*having a little person wedge up under my ribcage and then kick violently

Ah, but it will all be worth it when I get that precious baby. The I can kiss those problems goodbye and say hello to no sleep, post-partum hormones and changing diapers again! Motherhood is the best!!!

P.S. What is your favorite pregnancy symptom?

8 comments:

Jen said...

I found that bananas helped me with middle of the night leg cramps. I just love all the random weird advice people give too. That never goes away, though, because then people are just advising about parenthood.

The Vakautakakala's said...

i oh so agree!! i've heard that bananas help with restless leg too unfortunately i detest bananas!! hope everything else is going good for you guys!!

Katie said...

Funny cartoon! I think we can all relate to your list of pregnancy pains. The joys :)

Holding that new baby really does make it all worth it!!

The Yoder's Five said...

Oh, I know I should be getting my calcium and potassium for cramps... I was dehydrated last night and plus my legs were already tired and sore from working in the garage all day. So as I was hopping around at 3am with a charlie horse I was thinking to myself &*^@%$ electrolytes!!! If I'd had that banana split I was contemplating earlier last evening, perhaps that wouldn't have happened. (See? There again with the carbs.)

The Mursets said...

It will be over soon! Hang in there!

Liz said...

I never got over craving Ice cream and Adelyn is 15 months old now :). What I hate most about pregnancy is hearing other women say stuff like "Oh I never got sick, I barely noticed I was pregnant."
Also, with Kelty I had a very bad nasty taste in my mouth until the day that I had her. So much fun.
Good Luck, and remember at least Pregnancy isn't terminal (sometimes I think my kids will be the death of me, so maybe that isn't true).

Project Maniac said...

What got me the most frustrated was the tiredness all the time! I'd get out of bed and have to get right back in for a nap because of all the energy it took to get out of bed.

Emalia said...

I'm so sorry about all your 'heart' issues you've got going--I hope the beta blockers help. I feel ya on your 'list' of things to go away. My 'fav.' symptom would be the constantly having to go pee prob. that has me going through toilet paper like you wouldn't believe. Love the new house by the way--I'm jealous!