Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A ruffle kerfuffle

1/13/09

Three dust ruffles and a mangled wad of sheets is what has kept me from posting for so long. (5 whole days! Not 5 whole days spent ironing, but an inordinately large amount of time. ) Well, that and a lack of exciting things to report. But I think I can scrounge up a few things for you.

Madelyn finally has a big girl bed! I have been hunting for a bedroom set for her--with a white bed, dresser, nightstand, mirror, etc. But Mark won't allow me to buy it until he has a job. She was growing out of her crib/toddler bed though, and so when a local mattress store was liquidating some inventory on Saturday, I went and got her a twin mattress and box spring (for only $159, I have to brag). So until my matching furniture dreams come true, she is using my old bed frame I used as a kid. My mom had already bought her this cute fairy quilt and sheets:

It boings quite nicely

Our princess is pleased as punch (note the Snow White socks)

So far, so good...

...until 5:30 this morning when she crawled into our bed. Then I went and laid down with her back in her bed, where we stayed until Mark came to say goodbye as he went to work (and woke me up from the loveliest Keith Urban dream--hence the song. And no, "Stupid Boy" is not in reference to Mark. It is just my favorite song of his.) and then he transferred us back to our bed to finish snuggling (minus Keith), where Madelyn eventually had a gigantic bloody nose that got all over the sheets.

All I can say is that at least it wasn't on the brand new white sheets that I had spent all day ironing yesterday. And thank goodness for Fels Naptha and Oxi Clean. (And Keith Urban.)

Hummm....Oh I guess I haven't reported yet that last Thursday Mark was introduced to two different doctors who are interested in hiring PAs. One has a pain management clinic and the other has an ear, nose and throat clinic. It was encouraging to know that there are jobs out there--because we'd really like to stay in this area but had no idea what the prospects would be.

Also, Mark's school finally revealed the date for graduation. (They like to keep that kind of information secret just to drive the spouses of the students crazy.) April 18th is the big day! He'll actually have finished rotations by March 31st, but they prefer to drag things out for as long as possible. I was going to post another countdown calendar, but since there's still 95 days left, it seemed a little premature. (Even though we've been on the school's leash for something like 749 days already.) I'll put a countdown up when the numbers are not so depressingly high.

And now I am going to go force myself to finish unpacking/putting our stuff away so that I won't feel so guilty about all this vegging out in front of the computer and TV. I need that peace of mind.

P.S. Today is Orlando Bloom's birthday.

He's 2,932 in Legolas years.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Ikea has some really cute white furniture when you get to that point. I love the white twin daybed from there. Soo cute. We got the girls' dresser there.
Anyway, cute pics. I can't believe how big Madelyn is getting.

Oh yeah, did my sis-in-law ever bring you guys your Christmas presents and Madelyn's Birthday gift?

the heiner family said...

I have to say...I LOVE Keith Urban...he is my back-up.

Jessica said...

Yay! Big girl beds! McKenna's crib is also a toddler bed, but it's getting to be a tight fit.

Nikki said...

Melissa you just crack me up! I love reading your little blog posts. Oh and before I forget, thank you SO much for the necklace! I've been wearing it a lot lately and oggling at how it was put together. (Paul catches me staring at it during Church)

I'm happy to hear that things are going a little more on the smooth side as of late. (besides graduation forever away and Madelyn's bloody nose) OUR home actually started to become really clean (because of me thank you very much), but then it became even worse when Paul decided to switch things up in the computer room. Now he is slowly removing piles of papers and books from the living room floor. Honestly, the only mess right now is his mess. And I have the right to say that because I have told him to put his stuff away a bajillion times! And if I touch his stuff he'll never find it again.

Oh sorry, enough rambling about that. Love you and hope everything isn't as hectic as I know it once was!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

if i were there i would sand that puppy down and paint it all cool and funky for madelyn. BUT....i'm not, so bummer.

why do husbands have to wake us up when we're cuddling with our imaginary boyfriends? i told you about that awesome dream i was having making out with an *unnamed* vampire...then jeremy went and woke me up just to say he was going to work! big deal...you go to work every day! i'm having a great dream. =) i do love my husband, though, don't worry.