Sunday, January 25, 2009

550 things I must be missing out on...

1/25/09

I feel so out of the loop! I just got done reading through the list of the 2009 Grammy award nominees. There are 110 categories with five nominees each. I think I have actually listened to like, four of the songs nominated. (I guess not all of the awards go to songs, but I didn't even know half of the artists either.) So even though I think I have AWESOME taste in music (don't we all), my favorites were snubbed when it came to the awards. So I've decided to give out my own accolades for my favorite music of the past year. (OK, so these songs weren't necessarily released in 2008--but that never seems to matter in the Grammys anyway.) Come to think of it, this first song won "Song of the Year" at the 2006 Grammys.

*Don't forget to watch these in full screen mode so you don't have to squint at tiny singing/dancing people, like you are this tiny print... Tell me how out of breath you get just watching Beyoncé! Heh!! (pant, pant, pant, I am so out of shape.) Maybe I'll just settle for the less aerobic style of dancing from Tom DeLonge. Oh, and have I mentioned how crazy I am about U2? LOVE THEM! I want a t-shirt that says I ♥ U2, I ♥ Bono, or maybe just "Bono is kind of a big deal." You can purchase one here. My birthday is in two months. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Best Pop/Rock Song
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own by U2
The writing at the beginning at the video explains where Bono grew up in Dublin, Ireland, and how his father, a postal worker, loved opera and sang on stage at night. (The theater he used to perform at is shown in the video) His father died of cancer in 2001 and Bono wrote this song for him. It still makes me choke up. Sniff!




Best Country Song
Love Story by Taylor Swift.
I know she's a teeny bopper, but we love her-- Mark and Madelyn included. She writes all her own stuff and is gorgeous besides. A swoon-worthy video.


Best R&B Song
Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) by Beyoncé
If this song doesn't make you want to go get a one-shouldered leotard and shake your booty, then there is seriously something wrong with you.



Best Alternative Song
The Adventure by Angels and Airwaves
This is from their first album. President Obama always had this song play during the climax of his speeches during his political rallies on the campaign trail. Which makes it an even more awesome song. Even without that, this is my #1 favorite video of theirs.



...I could go on....here's links to some of our other favorite videos:

Everything's Magic
by Angels and Airwaves. Catchy song + high school nostalgia.
Secret Crowds by Angels and Airwaves. More grungy, but it freaking rocks.
What I've Done by Linkin Park. It plays at the end of Transformers, if you remember.
Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. Billie Jo Armstrong in all his guy-liner glory of 2004. Don't worry, I've yet to see him without it. Ever.

And lest you think we're in an alternative rut:

4 Minutes
by Madonna and Justin Timberlake, featuring Timbaland. This song has a funky dance groove but is also slightly obnoxious. Madelyn happens to love it. And actually, it is nominated for a Grammy this year. (Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals.)
Nothin' Better to Do by LeAnn Rimes. A very sassy song.
Stupid Boy by Keith Urban. Mmmmmm. It's even better because you get to watch Keith playing it live.
Stronger Woman by Jewel. I like her yellow dress. And the song's good too.

What were your favorite songs of 2008?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've started to develop a love towards Taylor Swift too, and it's a little unusual because I'm not a big country fan. Beyonce's dancing is amazing! Have you been to a ballet class at westside yet?

My favorite for the year 2008 is.... will.i.am's yes we can!