Oy.
I think I'm going to need mental help after this move. (Something in the way of retail therapy would go a long way right now...or just being able to find my shampoo.) I don't know why we seem to be so darn lucky, but when we moved to Albuquerque from St. George two years ago, we were met with the biggest snow storm they'd had in 30 years :
...and as soon as we unloaded the moving truck (into our cold, dirty house that wasn't ready for us but was supposed to be), 22 inches fell and the whole city was closed down for 4 days, leaving us with no real food, no microwave, no internet, no phones, and all our suitcases with our clothes and toiletries we had packed for the first few days were stranded at my grandma's house 30 miles away...you get the idea. It was horrible. (Did I mention that it was our anniversary, too? That was just the icing on the cake.)
So this time we had high hopes that even if it was snowing in Albuquerque when we left (which it had been the day before but had melted) that we at least wouldn't get snow where we were headed, since southern Utah and the surrounding areas never get more than a dusting. Ha, ha! You laugh. OF COURSE IT SNOWED. It snowed so much that schools and airports were all closed and we spent the last 200 miles of our drive driving on black ice in whiteout conditions.
Before Flagstaff, AZ the roads had been fine, but we got such a late start that the sun went down and we then got to deal with rain and fog that turned into sleet and snow, and then a full-out blizzard. We had all been up most of the night before because Madelyn, who has been sick for a couple weeks, developed pink eye and was very uncomfortable and kept crying and thrashing around. We got up late and still had a few things left to pack and the whole house to clean. So it was noon by the time we finally left. It was 11:39pm when we got to Hurricane, and the next morning it was still snowing. Siiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhh....
Anyway, I know a lot of you were worried and praying for us, and I am very grateful that we at least got here in one piece and now only have to unpack 20,000 more boxes before I will be able to post some pictures of our new home in its non-garbage-dump state. So it's back to work for me-- hope you're all doing something fun. And if you know of anything that we could do to appease the moving gods so we have a better experience next time, do tell!

8 comments:
Oh Melissa, I'm sorry. Moving STINKS without all of that. With it I am sure it was pure Hell (pardon my french but it is the truth). You Deserve a big break!
Don't move any time during winter. I think the moving gods will be happy with you if you stick to the spring or summer months. but it think you already knew that. great pics! i can't wait to see what it looks like with everything out of the way.
I laughed out loud when I read the first two sentences of this post, knowing what a dumping we've had here. But seriously, there is nothing funny about driving in that--I'm so glad you're safe! Especially on such little sleep (even if you hadn't mentioned it, it's Murphy's law: you get no sleep when you are packing and moving). Big hugs to you, and I hope we get to visit with you really soon.
yay! Welcome back to H-town. We'll have to have both of the families in your house over for fun soon.
Glad you made it. That stinks about the snow. How miserable! I couldn't imagine moving in the snow!!
We got your Christmas card last week and I cannot believe you made all of them. Are you crazy?! :) Your letter made me laugh. It was hilarious.
mark , i bet you are glad to be back. give me a call sometime so we can get together. My wife says that she would love to take pictures of your daughter. my number is 669 1614 talk to you later. Rob
That's quite the story. We have moved as many times as you (but in only 3 years), but the conditions were much better. It really is good to have you back.
I hope you like the house. Go take a nap.
That is so funny. you guys moved 4 days after we did. I am glad you made it safe. Crazy snow huh?
Post a Comment