Hi y'all. I started this post several days ago but didn't get a chance to finish it, so now I have a week's worth of ramblings. My dad drove out here from Utah with a big truck and trailer to help us load up a bunch of stuff that we're not going to be needing in the next 6 weeks to help us get a start on our move. It does feel good to have made a small dent in our packing, but I am even more cognizant of the giant task that still lies ahead. Oh, well.
Mark has been back and forth from EspaƱola a few times already--first, he forgot a bin full of all his toiletries, his coat, and jeans (I wasn't there to supervise, obviously), and then he came back to help my dad pack our stuff. His schedule is such that he's only working 2-4 days a week, in 12 hour shifts at the ER. Some of them are during the day and some are graveyard. Overall, he won't be working as many hours as in previous rotations, but the days (and nights) he does work will be long.
When he was going through some of his stuff in our storage room while we were packing, he came across a bunch of old photos. We hardly have any of when he was a kid, so I just had to scan them in to show you. If you had any doubt of Madelyn's resemblance to Mark:
He also found some genealogy papers showing that he has great-grandparents from Germany and Scotland. (Mark has never known any of his grandparents, let alone great-grandparents.) Apparently those genes were kind of trumped by his Chinese ones when it came to how he looks. Here's his graduation picture:
He graduated in 1996 from Camden County High in North Carolina. I wish I had known him back then so I could have reveled in his cuteness, tan and long hair. (C'mon--like you don't think surfers are hot.) Speaking of...
This is part of an article from the January 21, 1996 Albemarle Sunday Advance paper about Mark and his buddies George and Billy going surfing in the middle of winter. It reports that it was 36 degrees with 20mph NW winds at the beach that day. That's him out there! You couldn't even get me to stick a toe in that frigid water.Here he is 12 years later, who told me last week that he's like a "dried up fish" since moving out to the west. Poor guy. At least he has a cute family to show for it.
Oh, yeah. This is also what I did this week. Finally finished my Christmas cards. I actually made most of them way back in January, but had to do more (193 in total, but who's counting), stamp all of them on the inside, plus make about 70 tags. Why, you ask? Because I am insane.
And now I am going to have to gloat just a little:
WOO-HOO!!!I am so excited that Obama won! Oh, come on. There's no need to move to Canada because of the outcome of the election (some folks I know have actually been saying that). It's going to be OK, people. Really. In any case, it can't be any worse than the past 8 years, no?
And now on to my Saturday of vegging out in front of the TV. AAahhhhh.
And now on to my Saturday of vegging out in front of the TV. AAahhhhh.

6 comments:
Wow, Madelyn's resemblance to Mark is unbelievable! So does make madelyn has quarter Chinese in her? Chinese genes must be strong, because my brother's and I are half Japanese and I don't think those genes show up that much. Those Christmas card are so cute, it must have been a busy project!
Aren't you just so excited Obama won?! I can't stop watching his speech in Grant park. And I will have to agree with you about the past 8 years...
Hope your moving goes well!
A wise woman once said, "How about we stop bashing each other and go out and vote on Tuesday and be done with it? 'Kay? Does that sound like a good idea?" And then she didn't take her own advice! Hahaha, I just gotta tease you!
I think that people who voted for Obama should celebrate. If Republicans are sad, that's fine too. If people want to move to Canada, I say "see ya later!"
Cute pics - it's crazy how much Madelyn looks like Mark! I hate that you guys are moving - maybe I'll just tie you up so you can't leave. . .
I don't even know what to say.
First, I thought that picture of Madelyn looked messed up, then I realized it was Mark, then I felt bad for thinking the previous thought.
Next, I don't know how you have come to know so many people well enough to send them a card (maybe that's the hermit coming out in me).
Finally, I'm jealous of your writing skills. Even though I read at a college level in third grade, I still don't have a firm grasp on the English language.
I don't know about you, but I'm glad you are moving closer.
Mark and Madelyn look soooo much alike. It is amazing. That is so nice you are getting help to move. Moving is definitely overwhelming.
The key to increasing the size of your Christmas card mailing list is to move at least once a year, as we've done! You make more new friends that way. I should mention that I made some of those cards for Grandma for her to use. My list is only 155 people long.
Recluse.
yeah,i thought about making my own christmas cards and then said, "nah, i like uploading my pictures on to costco too much." if i only had a few people i probably would, but i'm like you, we move all the time and i have A LOT of pepople on our list, too.
i love michelle obama's dress. it's so cool. did you know there was bullet proof glass all around that stage (if makes total sense, i just didn't think about it at the time)? i couldn't tell, but in our TIME magazine this week it talked about it. there's one picture where you can kind of see it.
seriously, madelyn and mark look a ton alike. so cute.
Post a Comment